What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID on this Belgium shell and fuse please

grapeshot

Hello one and all,

Need an ID please on the shell and the fuse,

This shell is 115mm diameter, 300mm long plus a stepping ring of 5mm. Ring to shell thread is 60mm X 3mm.

The fuse is stamped EP 98 on the top, 2 to 20 on the middle ring and on the lower ring 0 * 20 98, it is 55mm tall 59mm diameter and thread of 30.5mm X 3.5mm

Why the off center hole in the stepping ring when it has a center hole ?

Thanks Jim

Attachments

• DSCF4098.jpg
    DSCF4098.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF4099.jpg
    DSCF4099.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF4100.jpg
    DSCF4100.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF4101.jpg
    DSCF4101.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF4103.jpg
    DSCF4103.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 25
Hi
Your shell is the Belgium 12 cm Schrapnel shell Mle 1889 for Gun fitted with time fuze only.
The hole under the reduced top screwed ring is for filling at the end the shell with last ball, resin and pitch
Shell is painted body white and red warhead

Hello one and all,

Need an ID please on the shell and the fuse,

This shell is 115mm diameter, 300mm long plus a stepping ring of 5mm. Ring to shell thread is 60mm X 3mm.

The fuse is stamped EP 98 on the top, 2 to 20 on the middle ring and on the lower ring 0 * 20 98, it is 55mm tall 59mm diameter and thread of 30.5mm X 3.5mm

Why the off center hole in the stepping ring when it has a center hole ?

Thanks Jim

very nice indeed mate.
Are you going to restore it?

would look mighty fine with some metal filler and fresh paint!
get some decent images and go for it
18pounder

very nice indeed mate.
Are you going to restore it?

would look mighty fine with some metal filler and fresh paint!
get some decent images and go for it
18pounder

Hi 18pounder,
Im going to leave it as it is because some time ago a got a 12prd all painted up with stencils but after about 10 months the filler and paint lifted and did not look good and as this is the only one Ive got as well, but seen some of you do repaint shell on your post and do look good,Im thinking of doing up one of my spare 4.7 inchs and see how it looks and I still have to clean off my 9.2inch and then put a driving band and fuse on it which I do have, just need a hand to get it into the garden shed!!!

Attachments

• 9.2inch.jpg
    9.2inch.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 26
good idea

i always sugest using something to practice on.
just make sure you post some images-when you get round to it.

thanks for sharing