What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID Please

zephyr4

Please help with ID and what type of weapon it was used in.

Thanks z4.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 106
it should be an

it should be an 3,7 cm Round for an Revolverkanone System Hotchkiss or Maschinenkanone System Maxim or for Schnellfeuerkanone System Gruson all sytems are nearly same it could be an german round from the navy but i am not sure !!!

best Regards David

Last edited:
I can't tell you exactly what your round is,but I know a man that can!!!!
He'll be on quite soon,I expect,in the meantime,how much do you want for it!!!!!

I can't tell you exactly what your round is,but I know a man that can!!!!
He'll be on quite soon,I expect,in the meantime,how much do you want for it!!!!!

I have not really thought about selling the shell.

I have had it for years and I dont have a clue what its worth, most of my collection is made up of trench art shells.

z4

Gordon,a serious student/researcher in this calibre is perhaps not on line today.I am fairly sure that I have seen similar rounds in these forums before,although I believe the somewhat larger version was discussed on
those occasions.Your round is,I think,the 37mm version,and is,of course,of
Austrian manufacture.I'll try to find the original threads which I seem to
recall,started with the cannon itself.

If you look on page 1 of "The Guns" forum,there's a thread titled
Gruson 53mm "Balloon Gun",I think that your round is the 37mm version
mentioned.The driving band seems quite distinctive,the last post on page 2
has images of the very similar 53mm version.Gordon,or one of the others clued up on these rounds may be able to confirm this.

5.3 cm Gruson

Hi
why 3.7cm? don't see where it's notified
I prefer 5,3cm
See attached picture with all types of 5.3 cm Gruson used for BAK

Attachments

• File0001.jpg
    File0001.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 74
Certainly does!!! I've been having a browse around,but I've yet to find out
if the Gruson 37mm was also used as a Ballonabwehrkanone,or was put to some other use,trench gun type thingy perhaps

yahoo search gruson 37mm

I know how link ups are felt about here, but if you go to yahoo search and type in gruson 37mm a couple of good info sites will pop up...Dano

Yes,nice one,Dano,much of the info relates to later 37mm developments by
the looks of it.z4s round dates from the Dual Monarchy,my favourite time frame,Kings and Emporers all over the place.It seems that the 37mm was used as a fortress gun defending the ditches,the same as it's bigger cousins.Must have been quite off putting in a frontal assault,revolver cannon spewing out canister shot all over the place.

I've just discovered why there's been no input from all those members who know exactly what this round is. Shame on all of you,and may camels defecate on the resting place of your ancestors!!!!!!!!

Gruson

I'm back ~

It is a Gruson type from the 1890s. These will fit the Revolving gun but were also used in a Mountain Gun they produced (there is likely a fortress version). There are two barrel lengths of this gun. The short one used this round, the longer used a longer projectile and case (37x145r I believe). These rounds have been associated with the Boer artillery as they may have had these mountain guns. These are an export type and not normally associated with the German Army- but everything seems to have been used one way or another. I attach an image of the two PD projectiles and a canister. From a description of an unearthed canister found in South Africa, there might be a longer version. Your case is Austrian made so may not go with this projectile unless Austria used some ?

Attachments

• IMG_6304.jpg
    IMG_6304.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 39