What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID - Possible Chemical Dispenser

ammocat

Ordnance approved
I have no technical information about this item, only the markings and dimensions visible in the photos. Current colour coding would indicate ammunition that contains an irritant (riot control) agent.

However the red markings don't make sense. If the date is actually 1943, then it is possible that the colour coding is not current NATO standard colour coding.

Any ideas what this item may be or if chemical, what agent it may contain?

Attachments

• CS1.JPG
    CS1.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 58
  • CS2.JPG
    CS2.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 67
  • CS3.JPG
    CS3.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 75
Its hard to tell from the photos, but the color coding looks more like that for incendiary than for CS/CN. Any chance for better photos?

No, at this time I only have these photos. I have them in a larger format, but reduced the size to post on BOCN. I will be back to work next week and will have more photos and should have an opportunity to inspect the item for stamped markings, precise dimensions, etc. Will post more details as I get them.

In the larger photos, the grey body and dark red/violet bands look the same as the colour coding on the Grenade Hand Riot Control M7 Series.

Its possible, but most of the CS containers I've seen that turned violet had been pretty abused, the entire can turned dark, including the band. Yours does not look that way. Normal is more like in the attached photo. What is the origin? It does not look typical for most US containers, gas or incendiary. Possible Navy?

Attachments

• DSC_0188.jpg
    DSC_0188.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 36