What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID pse for this projectile.

Alan1

Premium Member
Can anyone pse identify this projectile, probably Great War French or Belgian trench mortar bomb. Only marking is a G in capital letters, and it has three holes to the top, one for a fuze and the others for ? filling. No spigot for inserting in mortar barrel.
Thanks.
Alan1.DSCN0807[1].jpgDSCN0808[1].jpg

First time I see such a projectile.
Never seen in France.
Could it be an experimental projectile ?
Sometimes strange rounds appear.
This one for example :
CHS-43768.jpg

Many thanks, Minenaz16, I had hoped that friends in France or Belgium would have recognised it, the shape of body and tail fins are quite typical. I have given some thought to the lack of a spigot for the barrel of the mortar - if it is a mortar bomb - and I wonder if the bomb itself was fitted with a separate spigot and cup device that would detach after firing, just as the Naval depth charges were projected from the deck of a ship. As you say, sometimes strange rounds appear. My search continues. Alan1.

Had hoped that perhaps one of our French colleagues might have recognised this bomb, and I am grateful to Minenaz16 for his contribution, three more pics, together with ruler for size herewith, Someone must recognise it, it cannot be that rare or experimental that nobody can assist. Alan1.DSCN0809[1].jpgDSCN0810[1].jpgDSCN0810[1].jpgDSCN0811[1].jpg

Just a thought but identifying the thread type may help you get a better idea? If you have or know someone with thread gauges, and a Vernier