What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID requested for two cartridges

charley777

IMG_4551.jpgIMG_4550.jpgIMG_4547.jpgIMG_4546.jpgGreetings to all.
The black cardboard and brass cartridge ( 26.5x97R rim: 29.2mm) has a strange primer arrangement...the first picture shows it. Head stencil "BREEZE 8 42 122" etc
.Is this some kind of signal ctg?

The second and third pictures are of what i assume to be a German signal ctg. Note the crack in the base. My question concerns the insert in the mouth...what is it for?
The case is non-magnetic and has the typical convex base of German signal ctgs (it is 26.5x82R rim: 30.2mm) the insert adds 2mm to the length.

The last picture shows the ctgs with a normal 4gauge and a 1inch brass signal ctg (UK..... headstamp K and 27).

Any information gratefully received, thanks
Charley

Hi Charley ,
The Breeze case is a 4 gauge engine starter cartridge, used in Bristol Centarus (i think) radial engines ,ie Hawker Sea Fury.
I could find it a nice home if it needs one! ;]

cheers
Bob

Thanks Bob
I thought it was some kind of auxilliary cartridge but hadn't thought of an engine starter. Is the primer missing?
The rim is small for a 4gauge though......1mm smaller and not as thick...as can be seen in photo #4.
Umm i wonder what we could swap it for. Got a fuze for a 47C HE shell? LOL
Best wishes, Charley

Last edited:
No ,right out of fuzes sorry. :(
Pic of unfired Breeze starter cart (not mine unfortunately).
A strange type of primer but could be electric or maybe a protector?
I've got some details on them will have to dig out, though i think some previous post has featured these.
002.jpg

cheers,
Bob

Bob....Have emailed you about the Breeze.

Anyone else......still seek explanation for the 26.5x82R cartridge with the insert thing.

I have a feeling that the second one with the slots in the base may not even be a cartridge. It could be a part of something else (possibly not even ordnance).

I am not saying this for definite, so feel free to correct this.

Hello Falcon,
Thanks for your input (-:
It is definitely a cartridge. The slotted part is at the mouth. The base is shown in photo#3 and the whole cartridge is third from left in photo#4.
I have other German signal ctgs that have an identical base.

I didn't read the description properly, I thought the second photo was the base.

Just bumping this thread...
Nobody has clues on the second (German) cartridge and the neck insert or whatever it is?