What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID This Projectile?

MikeS0000

Hello Folks -

Going to try this one here also...

Won at an auction, no idea what it may be. All I know is it was dug in Europe and is 7.5"s in length. Not much to go on, but I just tossed a bid out and would up with it.

:tinysmile_angry2_t:

Thanks!
- Mike

Attachments

• Unknown-Shell-1.jpg
    Unknown-Shell-1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Unknown-Shell.jpg
    Unknown-Shell.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 55
Hi Mike,is this object cast or turned it is difficult to see in the pics,it also looks to have a tapered body which would make me think this is a tooth off a road planer,or similar machine,I could of course be way off the beam here,if I am please accept my apologies,
Cheers,
Don,

Hi Don -

No apologies necessary! You may well be right. Wouldn't be the first item I've acquired that wasn't what it was supposed to be. I don't have it in-hand yet, but maybe when it arrives it will give up some more info. Good thing was, whatever it turns out to be it wasn't very expensive.

Best regards!
- Mike

Doing a little measuring and cypherin', I came up with approx. 2"/50mm max. OD.

Whatever, stick it in an empty shell and let her bump. It IS now part of the collection. Might as well use it as such.

I know this guy that bought a "squeezebore" rock bit once. Gave up ord. Into thimbles, now. Sad.

Rick

I figure that if it arrives and the hole into the base leads into a cavity then I have a shot at it being a projectile, however, if there are old threads that just go straight in, well...., yes, it will be a 'part' in the collection.

I owned a bayonet that was a reminder of mistakes, Hung it over the desk. Meant to bid $16 some dollars and put a comma where the decimal point should have been. Try it! It turned into a very expensive item in the collection.

Doing a little measuring and cypherin', I came up with approx. 2"/50mm max. OD.

Whatever, stick it in an empty shell and let her bump. It IS now part of the collection. Might as well use it as such.

I know this guy that bought a "squeezebore" rock bit once. Gave up ord. Into thimbles, now. Sad.

Rick

Hey now,my thimble collection is comming along just fine thank you very much,,,,,,,and its very relaxing dontcha know. My little glass display case,my little magnifing glass,my "Thimbles of the united states" .

Hey..., there's nothing wrong with thimbles. I have a few doilies myself! :tinysmile_kiss_t:

Anyhow, the 'shell' arrived. Here are a couple better pics in comparison to an early WW2 6PDR. I'm thinking it is actually a projectile of some sort, though I have no idea for what.

Rick is pretty close, the OD of the thickest part is ~52mms. However due to the roughness it is hard to get a solid measurement. The hole in the base is tapered at the entrance and has a depth of ~3/4", not unlike that of the 6PDR. But it has certainly seen some "Ground Time." Hard to tell, but it looks to be a cast iron.

Best regards!
- Mike

Attachments

• Shell1.jpg
    Shell1.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Shell2.jpg
    Shell2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 43
Hi Mike,it certainly is a bit of a mystery this one,what makes me think it is a "tooth" is the taper,scarifyer/planer/mole plough bits are tapered for easy removal for replacement,the chipping around the base is similar to the chipping on a chisel from hammer strikes,what is also confusing is that replaceable points etc tend to wear in the area of most abrasion giving a one sided appearance,yours is symetrical and shows little or no sign of wear,the hole in the base could be a locating hole but as the body is tapered it would not need one,it certainly is a mystery and I will do some more trawling the net to try and find the true identity of the object,
Best Regards,
Don,