What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ident needed please

Chris 42 RQ

Please could someone tell me exactly what weapon this piece of kit works with????????

Thank you.

Attachments

• id please.jpg
    id please.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 66
On the otherside should be some engraving and perhaps a brass tag stating
the usage of your clinometer. I have a French one made by MAS that says
Mle 1888-1900M.

Cheers, Jan

It looks a "Gunners Quadrant" possibly the US M1 version. There should have been an ID tag fixed with 3 rivets to the part of the frame on the top right of your photo.
Used with a number of artillery pieces.
User manual link here -

http://carl.army.mil/wwIItms/TM9_1527_1943.pdf

Last edited:
Thank you gentlemen !

Thank you all for the information, it is good to know that it is in fact Artillery based and I am a little surprised that it was not for a specific weapon.

As Andy D says he thinks it is for a Mortar, this is what I have seen it used on during "proofing trials", however I am fairly certain I have also seen the same item used on an 8 inch and 175mm Barrels to check firing angles!

The TM Exat 808 attached more or less confirms this.
Once again Gentlemen thank you for the information.

quadrant

Chris,

It can be used two ways round as it has two sets of level pads, one way gives large angles of elevation ie motar, the other lower for guns. If you want to start a collection of these very interesting and rare items I've got one I dont need almost the same as yours. 2pr

No other marks

On the otherside should be some engraving and perhaps a brass tag stating
the usage of your clinometer. I have a French one made by MAS that says
Mle 1888-1900M.

Cheers, Jan
Super 7 I have had another look at this item and there are no more marks on it other than what you see in the picture, it does have a leather carrying case but that just repeats the numbers on the G/Quadrant so nothing new to be gleaned there.
Best regards

Kind offer

Chris,

It can be used two ways round as it has two sets of level pads, one way gives large angles of elevation ie motar, the other lower for guns. If you want to start a collection of these very interesting and rare items I've got one I dont need almost the same as yours. 2pr

Hi 2pounder and many thanks for your kind offer, sadly I am thinking of selling this one also as it is not in my area of interest, I have had it for years and used it in the workshop for setting angles and the like-very accurate working in Mils !
Thanks for the input!