What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identification assistance

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
After being shown a round in relic condition yesterday, I dug this photo out of my archive. I took this photo in a bunker in former East Germany about 10-12 years ago. Diameter is 82mm. Can anyone tell me the country of origin, the type by function and the purpose of the protrusions on the lower portion of the body? They are not rocket nozzles. Thanks, JO

Unidentified mortar.jpg

I was told (by Joop) some time ago that it is an illumination mortar. The three protrusions at the base of the body are pyrotechnic fuzes, ignited upon firing. Each pyrotechnic fuze has a different burning time, equal to a traveled distance before expulsion. A small protective cap is screwed off the protrusion, opening the flamehole of choice to the fuze. The other two caps stay in place

Regards, DJH.

Last edited:
You are right DJ, It is a east german illminating round (yellow band) there are also signal rounds. jeff here a drawing.

Attachments

• 82 mm illuminating.jpg
    82 mm illuminating.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 39