What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identification needed- .303?

RozenGT

I found this bullet casing on an archaeological dig that I'm working on. There are some minerals that have grown on it that I can't remove easily, and I can't distinguish any markings on the bottom. Might be a .303 British. Sorry for the bad pics. Any ideas? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1008.jpg
    IMG_1008.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1009.jpg
    IMG_1009.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 30
I found some (very) similar to these in Loch Long a while ago. I polished one of them up to get at the ID stamps.

On the bottom they are marked

1941 (then the Gov arrow marking) and L VI Z

My dive buddy, Smudge from a Field Gunner's Reg ID'd them as .303 and even found the maker's name (some where in Birmingham I think), but I have lost that info now, sorry.

Are you looking just to identify or looking for advice to clean? if you are looking to clean, i work from the easiest or less damaging upwards, starting with just cleaning with water and rag, if that doessn't work, I have found WD40 works well. If thats no good I try soaking in the same over night, gun oil/cleaner, mild acid bath with oxalic acid (ebay) or more expensive hammerite rust remover, but keep a regular eye on it.

I found this bullet casing on an archaeological dig that I'm working on. There are some minerals that have grown on it that I can't remove easily, and I can't distinguish any markings on the bottom. Might be a .303 British. Sorry for the bad pics. Any ideas? Thanks.

303?

Hi RozenGT,when I was involved with aviation archeology I cleaned a lot of real grotty metal using a bead blaster,if used carefully the beads will clean most clag from metal,start by holding the item at various places in the spray of beads,the beads from the edge of the nozzle are less damaging than those in the centre of the spray,as long as the cartridge is sound underneath the clag the beads should be able to clean it ok,bearing in mind that the beads direct onto the metal will give a peened finish,hope this idea helps,
Regards,Don,

If you can get your hands a case tumbler I would throw it in one and "tumble" for a good day or so - the media used is normally "corn" and therefore design to remove the oxidation layer. The result will of course depend upon the level of corrosion......however may remove enough for base stamp IDing.

For more corroded items, I use a mixture of acids: nitric / phosphoric (yes the stuff they use in Coke) - PM me if you are interested in the mixture.
Cheers
Drew

RozenGT - Yes, if you tell us what is stamped on the base of the cartridge case. Give it a good clean with some steel wool. Without that information it could be anything from 1889 to 1980s.

Dive Tramp - Your round with the single Broad Arrow was made at ROF Radway Green in Cheshire in 1941. The load you quote of LVIZ does not exist. It is either "BVIZ" for an incendiary Mark VIz or possibly "LVZ" for a blank Mark Vz. The "Z" indicates nitrocellulose propellant rather than cordite and if the neck of the case appears to be fluted then it is a blank LVz.

It is much more likely to be the incendiary though, as Radway Green were making them at that time as fast as they could for the RAF. I doubt if they would be making a specially headstamped round for blank when there would have been so many reject cases available.

Regards
TonyE

I got to get some fine steel wool for that. I'll let you know what it says as soon as I have it clean.

Last edited: