What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identification Needed... Grenades

staples57

BOCN Supporter
I recent picked up a couple of grenades and an artillery piece.
I've never seen these types of grenades before and couldn't pass them up.

Unknown Grenade #1...
looks like it may be US in origin, post WW2?, but I can't find any information on it.

Unknown Grenade #2... was told that it may be a WW1 French grenade, however, I was also told that it was Danish.

New Artillery Piece... I couldn't resist. You can load the barrel and a spring loaded plunger (at the breech) will launch what ever you've loaded.
...my cat loves it when I load and launch her treats! LOL

Any information on the grenades would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Brad

Attachments

• Unknown Grenade #1.jpg
    Unknown Grenade #1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 94
  • Unknown Grenade #2.jpg
    Unknown Grenade #2.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 62
  • New Artillery Piece.jpg
    New Artillery Piece.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 39
Grenade No 2 is a Danish M23, + or - WW2. great pics on Lex's site.
First item looks a bit homemade to me, but I could be wrong !

Additional Info...
Unknown Grenade #1... The fuze is marked as follows;
FUZE M228
ME178F
005-006
No markings on the body at all.
I doubt that it's a homemade piece, the construction is very similar to a US M15, just shorter.

Cheers,
Brad

the first is definately home made from a US M228 practice fuze and an unknown container. doesn't look like the fuze will screw down all the way without fouling the body.:tinysmile_cry_t4:
paul

Hi Paul,

I agree, it does look like a homemade piece or movie prop.

The fuze does screw all the way down, but it is tight for clearance
The threads in the body don't look home made, rather properly machined.
The thickness of the body wall is also thinner than the top, where it's threaded. It's a two-piece steel construction, welded with a center seam.
It's also been drilled in the base to "deactivate" it.

I know this doesn't mean that it not homemade... just more info.

Cheers,
Brad

the first is definately home made from a US M228 practice fuze and an unknown container. doesn't look like the fuze will screw down all the way without fouling the body.:tinysmile_cry_t4:
paul

stuff

Hi Brad, Not sure on grenade 1. Looks similar to some Us smoke grenades but not sure. Grenade 2 in an m24 Dutch grenade. I think your canon is a souvenir from a fort or something like that which was on another thread in here..Dano

Additional Info...
Unknown Grenade #1... The fuze is marked as follows;
FUZE M228
ME178F
005-006
No markings on the body at all.
I doubt that it's a homemade piece, the construction is very similar to a US M15, just shorter.

Cheers,
Brad

The Fuze in Photo #1 is a US M228, used exclusively with The US M69 Practice Grenade. The markings on your fuze lever indicate manufacture by Martin Electronics Circa 1978. Whatever the body in photo #1 is, The M228 Fuze is not correct on it.

Attachments

• Mk2 007.jpg
    Mk2 007.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 13
  • Mk2 001.jpg
    Mk2 001.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 13
Ive just found a pic in "janes security and co-in equipment 1989-90" very similar to the grenade shown in picture no1.

Attachments

• DSC00426.JPG
    DSC00426.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 54
Hi Spotter, thanks for the info and photo.
I had my reservations about the grenade in Photo No1 being a homemade piece. Knowing the chap I bought it from, I highly doubted that it was anything but 100% authentic.

Cheers,
Brad

Ive just found a pic in "janes security and co-in equipment 1989-90" very similar to the grenade shown in picture no1.

I dont think its on of the grens is Spotters pic. They are nicely rounded to accomodate the fuze. On the original pic the gren body is very square and the fuze fouls the edge.:tinysmile_cry_t4:
Paul.

she has a dynamite body!!!!

Just to throw in my 2 cents worth, I firmly think that it is an original something, doubtful that is right fuze for body but I think body is original. We've all seen some of the crap out there people will try to pass off, but I just don't see that in this piece. I think someone found an original body sans the fuze and found the US fuze would fit. I is very close to those in spotters picture. I am no expert but just love to voice my opinion, which I have. Brad I truly think this body will be Id'ed at some point as an original body. Brad, what are the exact measurments of the grenade body?....Dano

Last edited:
Hi Spotter, thanks for the info and photo.
I had my reservations about the grenade in Photo No1 being a homemade piece. Knowing the chap I bought it from, I highly doubted that it was anything but 100% authentic.

Cheers,
Brad

Well the only way to tell if the grenade in the photo is the same as the XM560 would be to look on the inside to see if it has coin rolled frag (which is the same as the M67).

Dimensions for Unknown Grenade #1...
Height... 7cm
Diameter... 5cm
The inside of the grenade is completely empty, nothing inside.

Hope this helps with the identification.

Cheers,
Brad

Dimensions are not conducive to being one of the Accuracy International grenades you have shown in Jane's. My Jane's shows the same series of grenades too. If it is going to be one of them then it may have been a training grenade with the fuze being Bouchon in nature and only the detonator goes off, vented by the hole. Who nows?