What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identification

tonyb0606

I was wondering if anyone could help me?

I found a used cartridge burried in a pub garden in Stanbridge, Herts. It was most beculiar because the base has clearly been struck by a firing pin and another round has obviously been fired through it at some point. There is an entrance and exit hole! I will post a photo of it soon. The markings on the head stamp are as follows:

At 12 o'clock position "60"
At 8o'clock position "Z67"
At 4 o'clock position "RG"

come on in

Hi tonyb0606, and welcome to the world of BOCN. Sounds like a most interesting cartridge and am looking forward to seeing pictures of it. Best to you and yours...Dano

.303" blank?

Hi tonyb0606,

Welcome to BOCN.
Sounds like you have a .303" blank; - I think the headstamp should read RG 60 L9Z. This should have a rose-crimped mouth. The L indicates "Blank"; the 9 is the mark number, and the Z indicates a nitrocellulose load rather than cordite.
Hope this helps.
R.

Thanks for your reply. At least I know what type of round it is now. I still can't understand why someone has put another round through it though! Most strange.

T

Is the pub on any land that has ever been used as army training land? Used cartridge cases were sometimes used as targets for shooting. I have seen examples of these found on WW2 era US air bases.