What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identify 75mm shell German and French

chispa

Hello again! It's been a while since I got anything... well I only go to one fair a year and it's not very big... I found this in an antique shop, any ideas?
The brass piece did not have a "little bird" like the one in the image... the measurements are 75x385, but on the website where I usually see I can't find anything, the only one is 76.2x385 R but inca that it is Russian and in another it tells me By measurements it could be French, could it be reused material?
20240218_203803.jpg 20240218_202643.jpg
And the other one is made of French aluminum, but I have never seen it in aluminum, always in brass... could it be a greeting? Could it simply be to save money? 75x350
20240219_005936.jpg 20240219_005955.jpg
Forgive my ignorance!

Thanks for everything!

The brass case is a nice German 7,5 cm Flak14 typically found in Spain. I would weigh the "aluminum" case and compare with the weight of a brass case. I am pretty sure you will find it is coated and not made of aluminum.

Zoom into the picture, it's for sure Aluminium as he wrote.

Last edited:
Hello Hoeksel, thanks for the information! I did not know the Flak 14 (I have a lot to learn) regarding the aluminum piece, I can confirm that if it is aluminum, as soon as you pick it up you can see that it is very light, out of curiosity I will tell you, it weighs 391g

Hello Alpini, exactly when you zoom it you can see it.

I am truly surprised if the case is really aluminum. Aluminum cases are already pretty uncommon, but a 1918 dated case is in my view a huge surprise. If indeed solid aluminium I think you have an extremely rare case.

Hi guys!

Hoeksel: I found it curious, I don't have any aluminum ones, except for a modern 30mm or 37mm I don't remember now (just the case) and an empty German lighting cartridge from WWII. Regarding the flak 14, from what I looked at a while ago, it is a descendant of the FK 16na, but the ammunition is not the same or so I think, in caliber but not in length. Is there a photo of complete ammunition?

kz11gr: the Tombac according to the internet is similar to brass, copper (84 - 90%) and zinc (10 - 16%) so in color it doesn't match... and in color it would be more towards aluminum or zamak but I don't think they use this last to do something that has to withstand certain pressure....

Thank you all!

Have you weighed it ? The markings translate as; Manufacture Generale de Munitions in Marseilles in 1918 with brass coming from BordeauX
So perhaps some kind of decorative coating ?

Hello Gspragge, now I don't have any like this, I seem to remember that I have a brass one in town, tomorrow I have to go and leave the Christmas decorations and something else I have at home, so I'll look at it. But for information... the two that I put in this message, the brass one weighs 1.7kg and the aluminum one weighs 390g, (yes the brass one is taller but not so heavy...) I bought it because it seemed curious, as I have mentioned I have always seen them in brass....

Sorry! I misclassified the message ("cartridges" I thought it was for a shotgun.... not that it referred to casings or shells).:)

Last edited:
I could immagine that they pressed such cases from aluminium blanks to test and setup the presses. But strange why it has an headstamp because this was a separate step in production.

For the first case (brass) , Flak 14 : it's a 76,2 x 385 or a 75 x 385 ? who has some pictures of the shell ?

Last edited: