What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identity of brass casings

W

ww1grenades

HI THERE
I JUST GOT THIS SMALL LOT OF _BAY FOR 99p :xd: COULD ANYONE HELP IN IDENTIFYING THEM .
FROM LEFT TO RIGHT AT THE REAR THE MARKINGS ARE

1 is an 18pdr but is this the correct height for this case JUST UNDER 3"
2 has no markings
3 NESCO 1943 20mm M21A1
4 F.C.O. 1943 20mm M21A1
5 F A 4
6 R A 42
7 L C 43

FRONT ROW

1 R L 54 7
2 R G 54 7
3 MJ 1942 VII
4 SA 80 BLANK
5 SA 80 BLANK
6 SA 80
7+8+9 WW 380 AUTO
10 has a shield with a R inside

great if you guys could help
thanks shaun

Attachments

• PICT0012.jpg
    PICT0012.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 111
Good deal !

Well you did alright for the grand total of 99p thats for sure !

The 18 pounder case has been cut down sadly byt the 30mm ADEN is pukka as are the 2 x 20 mm Hispano cases along with the 50 cal browning drill round with the two empty 50 cal cases RA 42 & LC 43 are wartime produced American rounds.

FA Frankfurd Arsenal

RA Remington Arms

LC Lake city

Last edited:
haul

What a haul WW1grenades. Welcome and good to see other WW1 collectors in here. We seem to be coming a force. I assume 99p is less than a quid? Dano

Well you did alright for the grand total of 99p thats for sure !

The 18 pounder case has been cut down sadly byt the 30mm ADEN is pukka as are the 2 x 20 mm Hispano cases along with the 50 cal browning drill round with the two empty 50 cal cases RA 42 & LC 43 are wartime produced American rounds.

FA Frankfurd Arsenal

RA Remington Arms

LC Lake city

thanks for that mate . i generally just collect WW1 grens but couldnt resist them for the price .
thanks shaun

We mod types will be Kings, aaahhhh, welllllll, just maybeee, right here....maybeeeenot! Can't we all just get along Dano, Rodney did!!

By the way, ww1grenades, great find!

Hey? where are the photos of the stuff on the shelves in the background?
Best wishes
Gus

Identity

Back row No.2 - 30mm ADEN. You say no markings, but if you look in the extractor groove and on the case just above you should see the details of the case maker and load.

It will contain things like "RG" (the case maker ROF Radway Green)," J" (the case type). "PRAC 4Z" (the load, Practice Mark 4Z), "CY" (the loader ROF Chorley) and lot numbers etc.

A minor detail, on the .50 Browning drill round, "FA" is Frankford Arsenal, Chris can't spell!

Front row;
.303 Ball Mark 7 by Royal Laboratory, Woolwich
.303 Ball Mark 7 by RPF Radway Green, Cjheshire.
.303 Ball Mark VII by SAAF Factory No.4, Hendon, Australia.
5.56mm blanks - What are the headstamps please?
The rimfire round with "R" in a shield is by RWS Germany.

Regards
TonyE

Got it wrong the first time too !

Back row No.2 - 30mm ADEN. You say no markings, but if you look in the extractor groove and on the case just above you should see the details of the case maker and load.

It will contain things like "RG" (the case maker ROF Radway Green)," J" (the case type). "PRAC 4Z" (the load, Practice Mark 4Z), "CY" (the loader ROF Chorley) and lot numbers etc.

A minor detail, on the .50 Browning drill round, "FA" is Frankford Arsenal, Chris can't spell!

Front row;
.303 Ball Mark 7 by Royal Laboratory, Woolwich
.303 Ball Mark 7 by RPF Radway Green, Cjheshire.
.303 Ball Mark VII by SAAF Factory No.4, Hendon, Australia.
5.56mm blanks - What are the headstamps please?
The rimfire round with "R" in a shield is by RWS Germany.

Regards
TonyE

Thanks "Tony E" I seem to remember I got it wrong the last time also !
Still I got the "Frank" bit right :angel:

If the ADEN case is experimental it will likely only carry Makers monogram and date withing the smallest diameter-ie, J 30MM RG or K 30MM-hope I got that right Tony ?

Last edited: