What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inert Citron grenade.

navyman

Hello all,
I've at last completed the inert, reproduction mechanism for the empty Citron-Foug case for display. I would like to thank all the members who sent me drawings and pictures without which I would not have been able to make it as I had absolutely no idea how it worked!
The cap/fuze, and det were cut down from an inert training 36 grenade. The inert det and fuze glued together with Araldite, and the det coloured with a blue felt tip pen. The remaining piece's made from scrap brass, and the wood from a broom handle stained with wood stain. Spring from an old biro.
I must emphasise that this display piece is completely inert and contains no traces of explosive or primer at all. I'll like to welcome any criticism if it's an unrealistic repro, but it's been an interesting project and kept me occupied!
I'm hoping that the pictures I'm posting will show how it was made, Iwill have to post them in two lots as they wont all fit.
Pics;
1. Broom handle.
2+3. Starting on the dummy striker.
4. Deciding how best to assemble it.
5. Washer, Top cap, from scrap brass, inner plug more broom handle.
6+7. Assembled unit.
8+9. Completed with three brass pins.

Attachments

• cf 1.jpg
    cf 1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 93
  • cf 2.jpg
    cf 2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 84
  • cf 3.jpg
    cf 3.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 84
  • cf 4.jpg
    cf 4.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 99
  • cf 5.jpg
    cf 5.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 109
Great

Well done Navyman, That Citron Foug came out great and thanks so much for laying out the steps in pictures with text. Another Phoenix rises from the ashes...Dano
Quote: Wishbone Ash

last 4 pics

Hopefully these will upload.
navyman.

Attachments

• cf 6.jpg
    cf 6.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 66
  • cf 7.jpg
    cf 7.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 68
  • cf 8.jpg
    cf 8.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 59
  • cf 9.jpg
    cf 9.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 56
Fantastic :congrats:. How about making som for us other to? I could realy need a repro fuze for my Citron.

Very nice job, nice to see someone else who likes making bits to restore their ordnance.

Inert replica fuzes

Hello Freaky,
A good way to make an inert, dummy, fuze/det is to use a piece of brass tube or a cylinder turned to the correct size on a lathe. The fuze is simply a length of shoelace filled with strands of string, and glued into the cylinder, painted or stained with ink. The crimp can be mimicked with a simple electricians crimp tool. Hope this helps,
Cheers,
navyman.

Attachments

• Dummy det 1.jpg
    Dummy det 1.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 28
Fantastic :congrats:. How about making som for us other to? I could realy need a repro fuze for my Citron.

+1 Great Job Navyman.....

If your interested in making more..... I think there is a market :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

I need one for mine too... :neutral:

Attachments

• IMG_1923.jpg
    IMG_1923.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 23
Great restoration but the original top 'keyhole' plate was made of tin not brass.

John

Thanks John,
I was aware of that but thought I could use brass as it's bound to be taken to bits for a look inside many times by friend collectors, and brass would survive better. However it's been on my mind and I'll probably replace with a tin one when the novelty wears off!
Very best wishes,
navyman.

You just need to make the tin plate cover now !!:tinysmile_fatgrin_t
Paul.

Attachments

• Page8citreonfoug.jpg
    Page8citreonfoug.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Hello Paul,
That's the next piece to be done. I've seen various types, rounded, conical, etc., so when I've made my mind up I'll solder up a tin one. I try to have a few projects going on at the same time, it's stops me rushing impatiently and spoiling the job! Old navy saying; "Don't spoil the ship for a halfpenny worth of tar"
Cheers,
Guy.

What a great job on making that repro percussion fuze of the Citron!!!

Here are some more details about the Citron Foug:

The wooden fuze plug was held by three small wooden rods in the grenades body. The holes of the rods were sealed with wax. The same for the protective tin cap; it was placed on top of the fuze and was sealed with wax too.

The color of the Citron was either without any paint or horizon blue. Here we have the same discussion as metioned in another thread about the "real" color of german fieldgrey. The french standart color of WW1 can range from grey, blue-gray to light blue in different shades.