What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Info on our hales mk11

LEECO

Hi this is my 1st post on the forum so please bear with me.
My father and i mostly collect edged weapons but from time to time we come across other forms of militaria, we recently aquired this Hales bomb dated 1/3/1917 , we can see by the logo that it was made by the James cycle co but apart from that we are in the dark, so any info would be greatfully accepted.
Many thanks Lee
2008_0313THAILAND080001.jpg
2008_0313THAILAND080002.jpg

Thank you very much. I think that must be the first piece of British ordnance I've seen, that effectively has a manufacturer's advertisment on it. It would be interesting to know what the Ministry of Munitions opinion was.

TimG

James.jpg

Thank you very much. I think that must be the first piece of British ordnance I've seen, that effectively has a manufacturer's advertisment on it. It would be interesting to know what the Ministry of Munitions opinion was.

TimG

View attachment 60482

I don't think it was advertising as the name was part of the nomenclature (see below from "Details of Aerial Bombs, Air Ministry, 1918), partly to distinguish it from "Bomb, H.E., Cooper, 20 lbs".

The use of trade names seemed quite common as there were Holt's Flares, Michelin Flares, Very cartridges etc.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• Hales 1.jpg
    Hales 1.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Hale 21.jpg
    Hale 21.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 61
Tony,

I wasn't refering to the 'Hale's' aspect but the James Cycles Co. transfer/decal that they affixed on the body, which is the same as their advertisement sign.

Tim

Last edited:
I would think the same as stamping their name on it and sufficient for purposes of identification. What a horror to load on the aircraft ~

Thanks for the help, was it a practice bomb or real , sorry to lower the tone but what value would the Hales have?