What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Information about the ww1 42cm German case

kz11gr

Hi

Have you please some informations about the 42cm cases ( Gamma Mrser)

Some Pictures , case dimensions .

Thank you

420x660R  6320 GammaMrs.jpg
There were two 42cm guns used by Germany, as far as i know.
Have found a drawing for the Gamma Morser case.
Dimensions:-
420x429R (rim ?) 42cm M-Gerat Dicke Berthe
420x660R (rim 488mm) 42cm Gamma Haubitze (case ID: 6320)

There were two 42cm guns used by Germany, as far as i know.
Have found a drawing for the Gamma Morser case.
Dimensions:-
420x429R (rim ?) 42cm M-Gerat Dicke Berthe
420x660R (rim 488mm) 42cm Gamma Haubitze (case ID: 6320)

Hi charley

Thank you
But why such a difference between the two cases ?

==================

From what I can find out, there were different modles of 420mm guns developed in WW1 by Krupp. The Big Bertha was developed for a lighter gun that could be delivered by truck. The older howitzer was too heavy for that at the time. Possibly the lighter gun used a lighter charge and the shorter case?

hello kz11gr...interesting question...i am sure that highlandotter is correct about the guns.
I have not found the rim size of the shorter case...so i have no idea if it is a short version of the longer one or actually a different design.
Perhaps some of our German experts can clarify?
Charley

Isn't one of the cases (can't recall which!) necked down to 420mm? ie, it has a shoulder as opposed to being straight sided.

cheers
Bob

Aah, the "big stuff" sweet, have never seen anything close to this size necked down, but hell I am the student so will will be watching this closely. I assume this is the stuff thrown at Belgium forts in the early siege days of WW1? The whole damned 20th century belonged "downstairs"..........Dano

Last edited:
hello kz11gr...interesting question...i am sure that highlandotter is correct about the guns.
I have not found the rim size of the shorter case...so i have no idea if it is a short version of the longer one or actually a different design.
Perhaps some of our German experts can clarify?
Charley

Isn't one of the cases (can't recall which!) necked down to 420mm? ie, it has a shoulder as opposed to being straight sided.

cheers
Bob

Hi

The rim size is shorter for the short 42cm (a friend has found a case).

The long case and the short case are different .

The short case is necked .

Look here : http://www.kaisersbunker.com/cc/cc16.htm

cc16c.jpg

==

Last edited: