What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Information on 146 Stokes Fuze

ben2000

Hi All,

Does anyone have any detailed photo's of the 146 fuze? I have an inert relic Stokes bomb with this fuse, and the only pic i can find shows it with canvas/cotton strap and a rectangular profile spring??

Is this correct? if so if anyone has some good photos that would be great as i would like to re-create a mock-up of the strap and spring for my relic one as only the metal buckle piece has survived.

Thankyou in advance,

Ben.

dont know if this attatched drawing is any use to you

Attachments

• 1 no146 stokes fuze.jpg
    1 no146 stokes fuze.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 86
No problem Ben,the pic attatched here is of one we found at work,to the right circled is what was left of the spring as you can see its made of very fine wire.not much to go on but it may help you make a correct size copy

Attachments

• P1000411.JPG
    P1000411.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 41
That's great,

For anyone out there who knows how these fuses work, can you answer me two questions?

firstly having studied the nicely detailed drawing Allan posted, the Tape spring is attached to the cotton strap (im guesing?) am i correct in presuming this (The strap end) is attached to the body of the fuse above the word 'Plan' on the plan view and then wrapped in a counter-clockwise direction?

Secondly, once the strap and spring have wrapped round twice(?) what does the tape spring then attach to? I'm guessing somewhere the strap/spring must be attached to the safety bar?

Just so as i understand how it works, once the safety pin is removed, when fired the retaining pin would drop out and allow the spring to 'unwind' in a clockwise direction and somehow pull the safety bar out?? Is that correct?

So many questions, sorry!!

Thanks,

Ben.

see attatched docs..
allan

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 29
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 30