What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Information on American stenciling?

butterfly

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Hello everyone,

Thought I would ask a question that has been puzzling me for some time.......regarding the stenciling on the wings/body of M83 butterfly bombs.

Can anyone identify any of the following marks?
I'm not sure if they are manufactures marks or 'other', any help welcome - thanks in advance!!

PAE (is this anything to do with the Pictany Arsenal?)

REX

GSP

EGS

WC - * - * (this one looks part of a code, or contract?)

regards Kev

anyone any ideas?? - not sure if other American bombs were marked with similar abreviations/codes.

regards Kev

Typically PAE stands for Picatinney Arsenal Experimental

I would guess that the 3 you have listed below it are manufacturer codes for companies that fabricated parts. The U.S. uses 3-letter codes for defense contractor identification. I'm away from my computer or I would look them up.

Last edited:
Typically PAE stands for Picatinney Arsenal Experimental

I would guess that the 3 you have listed below it are manufacturer codes for companies that fabricated parts. The U.S. uses 3-letter codes for defense contractor identification. I'm away from my computer or I would look them up.

Thanks HAZORD.
That confirms my thoughts on the PAE one !

Would be nice to pin the other ones down too, is there any form of Manufacturer code list for the US manufacturers?

regards Kev

I can't say that either of these codes are connected with butterfly bomb production, but I have reference to EGS as Geometric Stamping Company and WC as Wolf Creek Ordnance Plant, which was a WWII era name for what is now Milan Arsenal in Tennessee. I do not have a location for the EGS facility. Both were in production during the WWII timeframe and it figures the stamping company may have been producing the wings. Bob

I can't say that either of these codes are connected with butterfly bomb production, but I have reference to EGS as Geometric Stamping Company and WC as Wolf Creek Ordnance Plant, which was a WWII era name for what is now Milan Arsenal in Tennessee. I do not have a location for the EGS facility. Both were in production during the WWII timeframe and it figures the stamping company may have been producing the wings. Bob

Thankyou Bob,

Your information sounds good........I'm intrigued to find that the American Companies also used a three letter code system like the Germans, this really is an area I'm not too familiar with. It also would appear that the markings were only stencilled and not stamped, some of the stencilling is also not that clear on some of the examples I have seen photographs of, including this one in my own collection.......

HPIM5538 - Copy.jpg

I cant really make the bottom three letters out too well, but maybe it will make sense to someone.

Thankyou for all the help so far,

kindest regards Kev

What do you think the bottom three letters are? Looks like SBC to me, but I can't tell from the photo.

What do you think the bottom three letters are? Looks like SBC to me, but I can't tell from the photo.

Hi EODGUY,

To be honest I can't be certain myself - not any easier to de-cypher looking at it in daylight!!
Could be as you say SBC
or the second letter could be D or O
the third could be G or S
...............but I'm really only guessing, its very smudged ....as you can see!!

thought maybe someone might see what I couldn't!!

Thankyou for showing an interest
regards Kev