What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Information on PZGR40

I got this PZGR40 WWII German Grobe Gewehrpanzergranate in todays post. I don't know much about WWII grenades. I do know it is an anti tank rifle grenade but would like more information about like which gun it was fired from, method of attachment etc....Dano

Attachments

• Picture 359.jpg
    Picture 359.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 20
hello mate

its a model 30 (i think)HEAT rifle grenade with a shaped charge.

Introduced about 1942 and can penetrate 70mm of armour.

Nice example mate,there are loads of rubbish ones about.

Fired by typically the Karabiner98k

Attachments

• karabiner-98.jpg
    karabiner-98.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:
thanks 18pounder, I appreciate the info. Was the Karbiner 98K fitted with some sort of adaptor to fire off this grenade. I also have the 30mm sprenggranate rifle grenade coming which I assume would be fired from same rifle..Dano

Last edited:
GwPzGr40

I got this PZGR40 WWII German Grobe Gewehrpanzergranate in todays post. I don't know much about WWII grenades. I do know it is an anti tank rifle grenade but would like more information about like which gun it was fired from, method of attachment etc....Dano
Dano . . . the official designation for this rifle grenade is as I stated in the subject of this reply. It was produced in two(2) versions . . . the one you picture has a metal band with small circular holes just below the hollow charge part of the grenade so that it could be fired from the cup type launcher on the GrB39 anti tank rifle as this reinforcement helped preclude damage to the grenade when used
with this weapon's big 7.92 x 94mm round. The first version did not incorporate this special band. The first and later version could be fired from the K98k cup type launcher. FYI . . .

Ron Berkeley, USA

cool

Thanks for that Ron. I just love this little anti tank grenade. Just got back from EJ's site where there are variants pictured. Also noticed a PZGR40 opn SA with lower aluminum band...Dano

Pic's of launcher

G'day Dano here's a few pic's of a K98 grenade launcher
Regards Daryl

Attachments

• bocn k98 launcher 001.jpg
    bocn k98 launcher 001.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 55
  • bocn k98 launcher 002.jpg
    bocn k98 launcher 002.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 48
  • bocn k98 launcher 003.jpg
    bocn k98 launcher 003.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 42
rifle grenades

Hello Dano I have posted a few pic's of my german rifle grenades about a week ago in the grenade section it shows a aluminium tailed one
regards Daryl

great

Thanks so much Daryl, The pics are awesome. Just starting to collect WWII German grenades to go with the German WWI grenades. The launcher is great. I do have one of those yellow bodoed 30mm rifle grenades coming and looks like they used same launcher. The PZGR40 was my first WWII German grenade not counting the m39 egg I had that got smashed to bits. I really like the rifle grenades and the German WWII variants seem to number in the many..Cheers..Dano

Last edited:
For you Dano. Ron, I have never seen a PzGr40 without the metal band on top of the tail, if anybody have one or have more info about this feature would be very interesting to post it.

Attachments

• Gr German Rifle 1.jpg
    Gr German Rifle 1.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Gr German Rifle 2.jpg
    Gr German Rifle 2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 65
For you Dano. Ron, I have never seen a PzGr40 without the metal band on top of the tail, if anybody have one or have more info about this feature would be very interesting to post it.
Miguel:

Your attached photo show a GwPzGr40 with
aluminum tube which is the most common
early version . . . see attached drawing

Best regards . . . Ron B

Attachments

• GwPzGr40 drawing.jpg
    GwPzGr40 drawing.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 33
I noticed on SA there is a PzGr30 and PzGr40 with the alloy tails. The bidding starts out about 3 times the amount I paid for the tin tailed 40. Are the alumunum tailed units worth that much more or is this just a wishful dealer. (again no offense if a member is sellling these, as this is for my own information only)....Dano

not sure

G'day Ron.B I was under the impression that the Aluminium tailed ones were the rarer version and I assumed this was because the aluminiun was needed for other items {airplane s etc} so they made the bakalite tailed model and from what one see's on the auction site's it is the latter version that is most commonly found. Would be interested to hear from other collectors about this or even some of the diggers about what is most often found in excavations. I had never heard about the need for the metal reinforcing band but it make perfect sense as the bakalite is very thin and fragile in that area
Regards Daryl

I had to retreat to basement and have another look, but sure enough the handle is bakelite covered in tin. I wanted to start collecting some German WW2 items to compliment the WW1 grenades. and the PzGr40 seemed a good place to get my feet wet. I think I paid 28gbp for it, and my next one the gewehrsprenggranate is even cheaper. One I just saw and did not know existed is the PzGr30 which is similar to the 40 but with a smaller charge head. Nonetheless these are cool little rifle grenades and I thought i'd start there before diving in on some of the more expensive hand grenades. BUT WW1 is still first and foremost what I collect....Dano

Miguel:

Your attached photo show a GwPzGr40 with
aluminum tube which is the most common
early version . . . see attached drawing

Best regards . . . Ron B

Yes, it was the early version, but as 25thapril pointed right not the most common, but the rarer one as it was an early grenade, same as PzGr30.
Dano many times when you collect you have to check for quality, I have sold some PzGr40 near mint with white stencils for 120 euro, I had three, all sold in two hours. Find these rifle grenades is not difficult, (apart of the early versions), but find them in mint or near mint condition is another history and the value is different. An scarce item is always very valuable, I have seen to pay a lot of money for a piece of scrap metal when is near imposible to find it in nice condition and in a relic condition is rare too.

...I had never heard about the need for the metal reinforcing band but it make perfect sense as the bakalite is very thin and fragile in that area
Regards Daryl

I have never seen a bakelite tail without the metal band, and I have seen dozens of PzGr40, but as Ron is a very knowledgeable collector it would be interesting if anyother can contribute with more information about this.

Totally understand Miguel. Kind of like if you find a pristine original German WW2 stick grenade it will cost premium dollars, pounds, euros...whereas one in lesser condition can be had for a bargain. I was always told to collect the best example you can afford because you will get it back and then some ar re-sell time....Respectfullly...Dano

Well, reselling is another point of view. When I buy something I try to buy it in the best condition possible, because if not I will have to buy it two times as in the beginnings. So by today if an item is not in nice to near mint condition I dont buy it, no matter if it is a very scarce item, I have learned in this 5 years of collecting that with time and patience all you search comes to light soon or late.

Hi Dano,

Here's another drawing for your files. Cheers Colin

Attachments

• 1 german 40mm.jpg
    1 german 40mm.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 28