What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Information required on German WW1 Fuze

Hi Richard. I checked my limited resources on German WW1 fuzes and can't even find mention of this particular fuze. I've never heard of it. Do you know which shell(s) it was used on? This one has me a bit intrigued as when a German WW1 fuze pops up that I have not seen it peaks my interest...Dano

Hi Richard,
I have a large manual on German WW1 fuzes but the closest ones I can find there are Hbgr.Z.17/23 and Hbgr.Z.17/23 umg. If these are of any help to you I can post drawings here.

Hi Richard
Hbgr.Z.17 Haubegranattenznder Mle 17

this fuzes was similar to the Gr Z17 with some modifications (wooden rod through the false nose)
It was mounted on the shell following
Explosive shells 15 cm Mle 1903 Mle 1916
Explosive shells 15 cm 5 cal Navy
Chemical shells Mle 96 21 cm (green crosses and yellow cross)
Chemical shells 21 cm Mle 17 (blue cross)
Chemical shell 24 cm 4.2 cal (yellow cross)

r01aau.jpg

Au revoir
Jean paul

Hi Richard. I checked my limited resources on German WW1 fuzes and can't even find mention of this particular fuze. I've never heard of it. Do you know which shell(s) it was used on? This one has me a bit intrigued as when a German WW1 fuze pops up that I have not seen it peaks my interest...Dano

Hi Dano,
Glad your move went well. This fuze is similar to the Gr.Z.17 but was used on shells with false cap (haube in German) hence the Hb in the designation.
Richard

Hi Richard,
I have a large manual on German WW1 fuzes but the closest ones I can find there are Hbgr.Z.17/23 and Hbgr.Z.17/23 umg. If these are of any help to you I can post drawings here.

Hi Tmine,
That would be great if you could post drawings.
Richard

Hi Richard
Hbgr.Z.17 Haubegranattenznder Mle 17

this fuzes was similar to the Gr Z17 with some modifications (wooden rod through the false nose)
It was mounted on the shell following
Explosive shells 15 cm Mle 1903 Mle 1916
Explosive shells 15 cm 5 cal Navy
Chemical shells Mle 96 21 cm (green crosses and yellow cross)
Chemical shells 21 cm Mle 17 (blue cross)
Chemical shell 24 cm 4.2 cal (yellow cross)
r01aau.jpg

Au revoir
Jean paul

Thanks Jean Paul,
Interesting to know the rod was made of wood.
Richard

Here you have 2 versions of the fuze, showing also assemly inside ballistic cap.

Attachments

• Hbgr.Z.17.jpg
    Hbgr.Z.17.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 46
  • Hbgr.Z.17 umg.jpg
    Hbgr.Z.17 umg.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 40
Hbgr Z 17

Sorry for quality, but it's the only view I have

Attachments

• HbgrZ17.JPG
    HbgrZ17.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 27
Hbgr Z 17

I hope a better quality

Attachments

• HbgrZ17.JPG
    HbgrZ17.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 32
  • HbgrZ17-2.JPG
    HbgrZ17-2.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 25
  • HbgrZ17-3.JPG
    HbgrZ17-3.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 32
Does anyone have a photograph of a field recovered example of this fuze?

Cheers

Pete