What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Information Wanted on These Grenades

peteblight

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Does anyone have any information on these grenades?

Grenades irr smk 001a.jpg - Is this the X3E1?????

Grenades irr smk 002a.jpg

Grenades irr smk 003a.jpg - XL6E1

Grenades.irr.smk 004a.jpg - XL6E1

Grenades.irr.smk 005a.jpg - This is marked with a broad arrow and Z acceptance mark under which is 36 MII IN and under this HS (N) 1942 this is 2 7/8" dia and 4.5" long and is marked "Top" and "Bottom" on the respective ends

Grenades.irr.smk 006a.jpg

Grenades.irr.smk 007a.jpg

Grenades.irr.smk 008a.jpg - - No information on this one, measures 2.5" dia and 4.75" long

Grenades.irr.smk 009a.jpg

Grenades.irr.smk 010a.jpg

Thanks

Pete

The tin is used with the Holman projector to fire 36 grenades at enemy aircraft. The grenades used with it have an extra long safety pin so it can protrude out the slot and be pulled before loading the projector. I posted photos of mine some time ago.

The first 2 photos are puzzling for me. It looks like a No 91 grenade with a tail unit that is like that of the No 94 (Energa) grenade attached. The only reference I have is Ian Skennerton's book, but I don't see any similar grenades to this one in your photos.

the info i have on the XL6E1 is very basic but here it is..
"XL22E1---Grenade hand signal red---Developed as XL6E1 circa 1970 redesignated XL22E1 circa 1974---design not proceeded with..

allan

Thanks for the responses, I think the information is out there, it's just finding people who have it!!

Pete

Grenade, Rifle, Anti-Riot, X3E1 Lachrymatory

Absolutely spot on Peter, the first two are the X3E1 developed 1956/57. Used a 5s delay igniter which required some minor internal modification of the No 91. Use of the 'Energa' practice tail is correct.

Grenade, Hand or Rifle, Signal Smoke, XL6E1 Red

As they say it is what it says on the can and Allan has summed up its history. My version is much the same:

XL6E1, Red smoke, experimental Hand or Rifle. Redesignated to XL22E1 in 1972. Rifle role deleted in 1973.

Grenade, White Phosphorus (1940 Type)

The last one is a British WP grenade with the provisional designation as shown above, which gives its design date away. Fuze was a simple 27 det with safety fuze and a match composition head. Bit of rush job for reasons you will understand.