What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting 18 Pounder case finds

Falcon

I won these on ebay on Sunday. I probably paid alot more than they are actually worth, but it was the markings that interested me.

They appear to have been both reloaded in the build up to WW2 with 1937 primers. Both primers were reapired by "W." in 1937 and are from the same lot (Lot 624). As both primers are exatly the same it makes me doubt that these are the wrong primers for the cases. They also show no marks suggesting they have been removed from another case.

The stamps on the first one are:

18 PR II* 291 [R.L] A1 <A> <S> LOT 318 /|\, [/|\ over K], [/|\ over U] 1916 [L in Circle] /|\ CF ALCO. There is a symbol under "ALCO" that I cannot reproduce here.

Primer: No1 II RL 10/21 /|\ AB4 [AY over struck through 39] 624 W.8-37

The second one:
18PR II * [RL] 43 B1 <A> Lot 48 [\|/ over 6] 1917 C/|\[Struck through F] [/|\ over WF] F B (Maker's Mark]

Primer: No1 II RL 10/21 /|\ AF 16 [Struck through] [AY over struck through 60] 624 W.8-37

Can anyone tell me what any of these markings mean? Doesn't "A" in a diamond mean the case has had a second anneal? I would also like to know who the maker that used the marking "B" is.

It appears that what makes a Mark II into a II* is that the inside of the neck has been turned down to about 3" below the top of the case. On most of my WW1 18 Pounders there is only about 1/2" of turning on the neck if any at all.

I have attached some photos of the markings if this helps.

Thanks for any info.

Attachments

• 18pr_1.jpg
    18pr_1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 18pr_2.jpg
    18pr_2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
1st Case

ALCO and drunk N = New York Air Brake Co., sub-contracting to American Locomotive Co. USA

S in diamond = Scleroscope test stamp

L in circle = special mouth annealing

(nice markings)

2nd case

Birmingham Metal & Munitions Co. Adderley Park Rolling Mills, Birmingham

Both cases

RL (in rectangle) Monogram of Repair Contractor, I suspect to be Royal Laboratories

A in diamond = Low temperature annealing stamp

A1 291 (1st) B1 43 (2nd) Low temperature annealing batch letter and serial number (I think!)

Both Primers

RL = Royal Laboratories, manufactured by
W = Woolwich, filled by. August 1937 Lot 624.

Regards

TimG.

Thanks Tim, Excellent info.

Do you know anything about what was done to a Mark II case to turn it into a Mark II*?

Were the repair markings likely to have been added when the case was reloaded (presumably 1937 or later)?