What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting 88mm EX case

APFSDST

Hy all,

I got this interesting case today.
Can somebody help to me what was this case's original function?
It used for simple loading-pracitce? Or it was a complet ammo, and used for practice the ZtZS fuze setting?
Unfortunately the case is cutted (maybe purposely?).

It has originally been a complete cartridge, either for fuze setter testing or fuze setting practice - can't see the text properly.

Awesome markings!!!!!!!!!! TheKees has a cartridge that looks like this one.

Thanks for the info (I'm also think this)!
The text is: 8,8cm Ex. Patr. (Znders?ettpatrone)

Also very interesting to me the little stamp with signature and 10C-III. I never seen same before.

Would love to get one of these rounds ( in addition to a few other special ones ). They would be a nice addition to my gun:tinysmile_grin_t:

Attachments

• painted.jpg
    painted.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 41
Looks like a case to measure pressure (gap into primer hole) during firing proofings. My case has only the marking Verlang, 6306, and MAN marked on it, and was orginally from WW1. Very rare case you have there. What is the length of it?

Definitely no pressure test case. First: headstamp describes another use. Second: I recently stripped a 88 breech block and can tell that the internal design and dimensions are such that pressure measuring connection that way is technically impossible.
I assume the hole has something to do with the same use the case has been shortened for.

The case unfortunately cutted, now is about 317mm long.
Thekess, in my opinion your case is a blank case (MAN = Manverkarthuse?), what had live charge.
But to my case impossible to scew in a primer, because originaly have a bit screw in the edge of the primer hole what does not allow. See the picture!