What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting item.

Interested

Good evening,
I signed on to your site some time ago, and have enjoyed the occasional visit since. I live in Australia where items seen on the site are usually only seen in Museums. Items turn up from time to time usually from deceased estates or similar.
I have contacted you with an enquiry regarding an item recently seen. Its pretty obvious what it is but I would like to know what it was designed to be used in.
It is a 9.2" projectile.
the markings on the side are.........9.2 inch
I
DRILL

R .L.

10/93
It has a 'cannelure' around the base of the for the driving/rifling band, some 50mm or 2" wide. There is another 'cannelure' at the top of the body the same width just where the ogive starts.

It also has a 5/8 " threaded hole in the side of the body. It has a brass ring on the base, which probably isn't original and you can see right through it.
As I said it is pretty obvious what it is, but what I would like to know is what it was designed to be used in. There were numerous 9.2 inch emplacements along our coast and we also have 9.2 inch howitzers in museums and some parks.
It would be interesting to know which it was used in or if it was a universal type drill round, and if the second band was normal. I have photographs but was not sure how to attach them.
And did I mention it was extremely heavy.
Any info would be much appreciated.

Regards.....Burto

Howdy Burto,
Sound like it is dated 1893 so it could be a Rifled Muzzle Loading DRILL round, but need to see pics? I will send you a private message with my e-mail address so you can send pics there & I will post on the forum for you.
Regards Ozzi.

Pics of Interesteds, "Interesting Item" (missing a couple of bits) & reference info to suit.
Thanks Burto.

Attachments

• shell x 1.jpg
    shell x 1.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 57
  • shell x 2.jpg
    shell x 2.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 48
  • 9.2DRILL 2.jpeg
    9.2DRILL 2.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 54