What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting Photo

ydnum303

Kynoch - e [785901].jpg
Hi All,

The above photo comes from the archives of the N.R.A. at Bisley, and shows the Kynoch trade tent in what was known as the "Bazaar Lines" at Bisley Camp during the "Imperial" Meeting. (For those who do not already know, this was the big annual Rifle Meeting held every year - except during WW1 & 2 - in July. Quite a large number of traders would set up tents to show off their wares to the shooters, - mostly rifle and gun makers, and ammunition makers.)

Although there are a number of display boards showing all types of Kynoch small-arms ammunition, what I liked was the display of large-calibre cases and projectiles along the front edge of the tent. I can identify most of them, but what is the 5th item in from the right-hand support of the "Cordite" sign? This sign would date the photo to the 1890s, I would guess. Wouldn't it be nice to have a time-machine and to be able to go back in time and buy some of these items!

Regards,
Roger.

Roger,

Very interesting picture. For those of us who cannot identify the large caliber items could you provide a list of what you think they are?

Thanks,

Brian

As far as I can tell, from L to R between the two white poles are:-
A part-hidden case;
3-Pdr Hotchkiss case;
6-Pdr Hotchkiss case;
4.7" CP shell
?
12-Pdr 12 Cwt case;
6" Coastal gun case;
4.7" Coastal Gun case;
4" Coastal Gun case;
?
12-Pdr CP shell;
?
6Pdr shell;
?

There is also something to the left of the LHS post, but I cannot make it out.

If anyone can identify the unknown ones, or thinks I have mis-identified any of the others, I shall be pleased for any corrections.

Regards,
Roger.