What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting "standard" 75 mm De Campagne shell case (M1897)

H

Hoeksel

Found this nice case today, not uncommon, but this one is more interesting then usual. First of all, the primer is dated 1940. Most 75 mm DEC cases and primers are WW1 dated. But most interesting is that this is the first case I found that is French manufactured after WW1 and before WW2, in 1923. Just wanted to share and wondering if this is rare or that I just never found one before? I have seen loads of these cases!

Attachments

• Interwar 75 mm DEC.jpg
    Interwar 75 mm DEC.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 90
hi

yes , finding a lot of 75mm DEC case, i constat that about 1 on 100 (or less) is after 1918.
the rare i've seen are from 1939 or 1940.

From these years, most of the case were used after 1940 by the german army in the 75mm / 38 modified french guns (some with the german steel primer).

regards

I thought so to. I also have a 1940 manufactured case with French primer, this case has a full crimp at the top. I have seen only 2 of these!

Hi
I have this case made after ww1 but I think it's not made for french
the marking 75 M 97 G is unusual, may be G means Gun? so for the USA?
thanks in advance for yours reply
best regards

Attachments

• 75 M97 G rid.jpg
    75 M97 G rid.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 64
  • crimpatura.jpg
    crimpatura.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 18
Fert, based on the primer I think French Navy. Very cool case, not seen before! According to my database "G" means "Guerre" = war and is seen on 75 mm DEC cases (like yours). Would love to own one if you find one again!

Hello
I searched info about the gun, but could not find anything. did you have?
best regards