What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting

Thanks for posting. I'm sure I remember asking for a photo of this a while ago and got no response.

The Russians had a similar device that used a 7.62mm Tokarev pistol round.

It is a Pistol Ground Spike.

British Antipersonnel mine WW2

They normally have a large washer around the top to stop it sinking into soft ground

Anti personnel switch number 8 mark 1 also known as the Castrator or Debollocker amongst British troops

Brutal? Did you ever see what normal AP mines do?
All those who ever stepped on a mine would line up to step on this device instead of the smallest AP mine containing HE.

So, I have a question. Since this device takes a small arms cartridge, how is it viewed in the hands of civilian collectors? Is it classified as a firearm? For instance, the lanyard firing mechanism in a U.S. 60mm Mortar is considered a firearm.

So, I have a question. Since this device takes a small arms cartridge, how is it viewed in the hands of civilian collectors? Is it classified as a firearm? For instance, the lanyard firing mechanism in a U.S. 60mm Mortar is considered a firearm.

I would imagine it would be classed as Sec 1, as it is a lethal barreled weapon that discharges a missile. (not word for word obviously, but off the top of my head)

Also available with a wood bullet for training!

Pics of Ball and wood bulleted round attached.

It is debateable whether it would be Section 1 or section 5.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• No.8 Switch ball.jpg
    No.8 Switch ball.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 22
  • No.8 switch blank.jpg
    No.8 switch blank.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 20
For those of us that had a revolution, what is the difference between section one and section 5?

I would have thought it would be section 5 by virtue of the short barrel (less than 24") and overall length (less than 40").

Hazord,

Here is a very short guide to Firearms sections. I am not an expert, this is as I understand it.

Section 1 firearms are non semi automatic rifles with barrels over 24" and overall length over 24". .22 semi automatic rifles are included, and shotguns that can hold more than 2 rounds in a magazine.

Section 2 firearms are shotguns, smoothbore with barrels over 24" bore under 2" and a magazine that can hold no more than 2 rounds.

Section 5 firearms are prohibited weapons.

Section 7 firearms are heritage pistols.

Shotgun certificates to hold section 2 firearms and Firearms Certificates to hold Section 1 firearms are normally granted.

Last edited:
That was my thinking when I mentioned Section 5.

You must also add prohibited ammunition to Section 5, explosive, incendiary, armour piercing and soft point. (plus the odd rocket launcher, firearms masquerading as another object and other items).

Regards
TonyE

How do you know if an item is prohibited (section 5) or not? Is there a list of prohibited items? Can a person get a license to own prohibited items, like it is here in the states with machine guns, sound suppressors, sawed off shotguns, and destructive devices?

It would be a section 5 due to the barrel length.

Yes Hazord there is a list of prohibited items. The easiest to read is in the police guidance

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDcQFjAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gov.uk%2Fgovernment%2Fuploads%2Fsystem%2Fuploads%2Fattachment_data%2Ffile%2F117797%2FHO-Firearms-Guidance.pdf&ei=B5lnUrvmDojs0gW_9IDIAg&usg=AFQjCNHMVw0i25Q5a6JSwLnciSUtt3rbVA&sig2=4waZgaxm510RD_cFrLTSnA

Yes you can get a license for prohibited items, a Section 5 Firearms license but some section 5 articles can be put on a section 1 cert for example hi-capacity shotguns and expanding ammunition. If you have good reason to own one and are of sound mind and character there isn't usually a problem.

I would go for Section 1. Based on the fact that a Miniflare Projector Mark 1 (the metal version with screw in aluminium cartridges) is classed as Section 1. This is due to a bizarre piece of case law that deemed the cartridge case to be a barrel. Notwithstanding that decision, it (the Miniflare Mk1) would fall into the readily converted category.

Frustrating to see some of the same errors of the original guidance have been 'cut and pasted' into the new edition, for example para 3.20

TimG

I would go for Section 1. Based on the fact that a Miniflare Projector Mark 1 (the metal version with screw in aluminium cartridges) is classed as Section 1. This is due to a bizarre piece of case law that deemed the cartridge case to be a barrel. Notwithstanding that decision, it (the Miniflare Mk1) would fall into the readily converted category.

Frustrating to see some of the same errors of the original guidance have been 'cut and pasted' into the new edition, for example para 3.20

TimG

I have thought about pen flares and the sec1 law a lot. It should not include signalling equipment as they are designed for signalling and not causing injury. Job for case law I think.

I believe that Sect. 5 licenses are more often granted to businesses rather than private individuals. For example comapnies deactivating guns for sale or film prop companies using real firearms for blank firing. Some agricultural vets also have pistols for humane animal slaughter.

I have been told before that having a suitable secure building built to store Section 5 weapons will cost 50,000 plus.