What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IRON DOME - Amazing technology

They use missiles. You can see in the video that they leave smoke trails and they are course correcting.

Attachments

• 1024px-Iron_Dome_near_Sderot.jpg
    1024px-Iron_Dome_near_Sderot.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Flickr_-_Israel_Defense_Forces_-_Iron_Dome_Intercepts_Rockets_from_the_Gaza_Strip.jpg
    Flickr_-_Israel_Defense_Forces_-_Iron_Dome_Intercepts_Rockets_from_the_Gaza_Strip.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Iron_Dome_Battery_Deployed_Near_Ashkelon.jpg
    Iron_Dome_Battery_Deployed_Near_Ashkelon.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Iron_Dome_radar.jpg
    Iron_Dome_radar.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Flickr_-_U_S__Embassy_Tel_Aviv_-_Visit_to_Iron_Dome_No_106FL.jpg
    Flickr_-_U_S__Embassy_Tel_Aviv_-_Visit_to_Iron_Dome_No_106FL.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Ohhh okay, I was wondering what those where. Im guessing unless it was a low flying slow missile an AA or CIWS wouldnt work.

Quite the chess game going on between Israel and its enemies.

Attachments

• hamas-rockets-2014.jpg
    hamas-rockets-2014.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 38
  • iron-dome.jpg
    iron-dome.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 35
  • ShowImage.jpg
    ShowImage.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 33
  • m02012061300072.jpg
    m02012061300072.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 40
I believe the white "puffs" were targets. May be self destruct. Other articles mention the successful intercept ratio.
I'm guessing the targets are in their terminal phase of flight and have spent all their rocket motor fuel, so no smoke trail that late in their trajectory. As for expense, well, if it was my a$$ on the receiving end, cost of defense would be low on my list of concerns. And what's the cost of an exploded home or business?

Last edited:
I believe the Iron Dome Tamir missiles are about $20,000.00 each. That is why they analyze where the incoming rockets will impact, and they only shoot at the ones that will land in areas that need protected, so they can save money.

Rafael is the Israeli company that supplies Iron Dome. They also have a vehicle mounted system that kills RPG warheads called the "Trophy System", that is mounted on vehicles as small as Hummers. The system analyzes if the warhead will hit the vehicle, and it fires a barrage of explosively formed penetrators like a shotgun, that beheads the incoming warhead. Speculators are guessing that the Iron Dome missiles use a similar fragmentation system in their warhead.

Last edited:
That is some sort of advanced technology and damned effective,well done "iron dome"
Don,