What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this an armed bomb?

Amysc

Hi there

My brother has recently added an old artillery piece to his military collection and to be honest I am a little nervous as I don't know if it's still able to explode.

Apparently it was dug up in the pacific jungles. Can anyone tell if it's still a live bomb from these pictures? Even though it's hollow i'm worried about the tip more than anything.

Thanks for your help
Amy

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 104
It does look empty but If in any doubt whatsoever have it checked over by EOD personel, its better to be safe than sorry. (even a fuze booster can cause a considerable amount of damage)

I go with Nimsonic. Looks empty but fuze charge could be nasty.
Unfortunately if you hand it in you/your brother will not see it again!
Any members up Amy`s way that could have a look at it I wonder?
Remove the fuze & hand that in?

Looks to me, a 25 pr smoke shell BE .
Do you have a picture from the side of the shell?

Important

The following information should always be undertaken in the event of a find or unsure item of possible ordnance etc in the UK.

Contact the police and they in turn would have an EOD unit call and sort it out for you.

This process is not there to drop you in the C**p but to ensure the safety of the public and its been in place for many years. To be honest, the police are not normally interested in you or the item unless you nicked it, they are looking for it, got from dubious means or causing a major incident etc (not all listed). However, this is the first port of call and ultimately it is in place to keep the public safe and could stop someone else loosing there fingers or other bits etc should this item be unsafe / live.

The EOD Unit are the experts and are the only people in the UK that can deal with such items OFFICIALLY oh yes they will do some accounting paperwork and that is that.

Please do not throw it away as that WILL cause problems do the right thing and call the Police.

Best regards Weasel.

i am not familiar with specific fuse/shell type but i know something about unexploded ordnance in general.
if that is base ejecting smoke projectile than it is more than likely that fuse set off on impact.
but you should not try to unscrew it due to possible presence of some hazards:
-it may be corroded and use of power might move some parts you wouldn't like to move
-use of WD40 or some other stuff might also release some parts you wouldn't like to move
-fuse bed on jacket might on impact be deformed to ellipse on cross section making fuse unable to unscrew due to deformation.

if u are ordnance expert you might identify the fuse, and compare present condition to its cutaway scheme to determine which parts to which degree might be damaged.
if u are not ordnance expert, and still not sure about fuse condition than you should call related service in your place of living to remove possible hazards off from you and populated area.

Looks to me, a 25 pr smoke shell BE .
Do you have a picture from the side of the shell?

i agree with blackwatch ,expended 25lb BE smoke safe unless you drop it on your foot or try to eat it,
but if you have any doubts about a piece of ordnance please take note of weasels earlier post,better safe than sorry

Last edited: