What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this Bomb related

satan18

Ive had this for ages but dont know what it is:hmmmm2:

Has any body seen this before as there is the remains of three core wire thats heavily insulated.

The external pins line up with the plungers of a german impact fuse,but could be just coincidence.

Attachments

• charging connectors 006.jpg
    charging connectors 006.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 57
  • charging connectors 008.jpg
    charging connectors 008.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 50
  • charging connectors 007.jpg
    charging connectors 007.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 44
I'm wondering if this may be a charging connector from an He 111 bomb magazine. The He 111 differed from other german aircraft in that the bombs were loaded en-masse by the way of magazines. Ideal in a Blitzkreig campaign as the time spent on the ground re-arming would be minimal. The bombs were stored vertically in the magazine. You'll notice that the pins are orientated with harness and the eye. The pins on an ElAz are orientated fore and aft, the same as the connector. I think that there is a collar and 'c' clip missing that would keep the connector attached to the fuze head. I would think that connector is attached to the magazine by means of something like a chain through a switch. In common with normal ElAz charging the fuze is not charged until the bomb has been released, then when at the full extent of travel of the chain the charging head is pulled off.

A sort of guess.

Regards

TimG

I'm wondering if this may be a charging connector from an He 111 bomb magazine. The He 111 differed from other german aircraft in that the bombs were loaded en-masse by the way of magazines. Ideal in a Blitzkreig campaign as the time spent on the ground re-arming would be minimal. The bombs were stored vertically in the magazine. You'll notice that the pins are orientated with harness and the eye. The pins on an ElAz are orientated fore and aft, the same as the connector. I think that there is a collar and 'c' clip missing that would keep the connector attached to the fuze head. I would think that connector is attached to the magazine by means of something like a chain through a switch. In common with normal ElAz charging the fuze is not charged until the bomb has been released, then when at the full extent of travel of the chain the charging head is pulled off.

A sort of guess.

Regards

TimG

Thanks Tim
That makes perfect sense for " a sort of guess" and hope that there is a picture tucked away somewhere to verify your theory:tinysmile_shy_t:

I saw one of these at this years war a peace show but didnt ask the stall holder if he knew what it was,as i suspect he wouldnt have.

cheers for your input

Best phil

A sort of guess.

Regards

TimG

Hi TimG,

Not sure if this is a picture of the HE 111 charging head (look at the thread in the link- 7th post down) photos posted by myself.

Can see your theory behind it though.

Not seen anything like this myself either, but have learned not to dismiss items especially as Phil says it came with other bits

regards Kev

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/new-bomb-fuse-t69993.html?t=69993

This is the second photo in Kev post only a bit beter hope you dont mind Kev :tinysmile_twink_t:
had a look around in the doc's i have on Bombers but so far no hits.

Attachments

• german_bomb_fuse.jpg
    german_bomb_fuse.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 37
This is the second photo in Kev post only a bit beter hope you dont mind Kev :tinysmile_twink_t:
had a look around in the doc's i have on Bombers but so far no hits.

Not at all Jack, thats a much better picture than the ones I posted!!

Ok I have another thought. The charging head has a two pin plug on it, do you know what the other end of the wire has connected to it? (I presume another two pin plug to connect the circuit - this could be what the bit Phil has. Not sure where to find any pictures to confirm/deny the theory though??
so I guess its over to you Jack......!!!!!

regards Kev

Kev,

Yes, I think that is one of the magzines, which rather puts an end to my guess. That charging head is a very sturdy bit of engineering.

Regards

Tim

It has a 3 pin connector on the outher end.
Not the best photo but thats what i only have at the moment.

Attachments

• 29a.jpg
    29a.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 32
Just dawned on me, the Luftwaffe were just the same as the RAF, if its an aircraft part it should have a number on it eg. "FL*****". From my understanding the first two digits identify the type of equipment and "FL50***" relates to armament. So, has it got any numbers on it?

Regards

Tim

It has a 3 pin connector on the outher end.
Not the best photo but thats what i only have at the moment.

Good enough though Jack to end my train of thought!!!
Not one of those then.

regards Kev