What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Israeli 40MM APFSDS Projectile? Any info appreciated.

apfsds

Premium Member
I recently added this beautiful 40MM APFSDS inert projectile. I purchased it from a seller in Israel who believes it is an Israeli development but was not 100% certain. If anyone has any information on it or photos of the complete round I would be very grateful. The sub-projectile dart spins as if it is in a ball bearing. The driving band is slip-able so guessing this round is fired in a rifled barrel.

Jason

IMG_4376.jpg

IMG_4377.jpg

IMG_4379.jpg

As I suggested in t'other place, perhaps a half-scale test item for 76mm?

I have a 57mm APFSDS which was an (almost) half-scale item for developing 120mm.

I have been reading about special purpose APFSDS rounds like this with blunt noses used to detonate underwater mines and that the blunt tip causes cavitation for deeper water penetration?

Jason

The supercavitating or hydroballistic fin rounds were developed by Nammo in conjunction with the USN as part of the RAMICS anti-mine programme - they were intended to be fired near-vertically downwards from a helicopter equipped with a mine-detecting laser, and could sink mines down to 60 m depth. They do have a flat point, but not as large as the one in your pic, and they are only in 30x173 calibre.

The RAMICS programme was cancelled years ago, but the rounds are still available as the MK258 Mod 1 'Swimmer'. They are qualified for USN/USMC service and may be in use, I'm not certain. They are fired from the MK44 cannon in the MK46 naval mounting which is increasingly being fitted to US vessels for engaging small boats like the one which badly damaged USS Cole some years ago. The advantage of this round is that it can shoot through waves in a straight line and still retain most of its energy on the other side; useful for engaging targets which keep disappearing behind waves.

Amazing information, Tony! Thank you! Blown away that they can be effective down to 60M and threw waves. Just awesome! Thank you so much. Now I am off to google to find a photo :)

Jason