What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Israeli bomb?

William49

Ordnance approved
This item was found at the Golan. The inscription on the item is Hebrew. Somebody told me that it means: bomb. Any info to this bomb I will be very grateful.

Attachments

• Melonenbombe (Isr).JPG
    Melonenbombe (Isr).JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 55
No - I found a similar photograph when looking for documentation of the early models of cluster bombs used by Israel on 1967 during the fighting on the Golan heights, and after asking and checking around, the answer was that it is the "Watermelon infantry artillery rocket" launched at a fixed angle using a 82mm rocket engine, with a 6kg HE warhead and aimed at exploding at 10m height at a range of about 150m.
Got this pic too:
Watermelon Rocket.jpg

For those more interested by bombs, like myself :tinysmile_twink_t:, here's a rare pic of the first Israeli cluster bomb under a Dassault Ouragan in 1967:
Ouragan Cluster bomb 1967.jpg

and the supposed tail of such a bomb found on the Golan heights (no definite identification) - apparently not the same model as the one above which seems to have an "American ww2" type of tail

22494781.jpg

There were indeed 2 models designated M15/12 and M20/(20?) containing respectively 12 or 20 120mm mortar shell bodies. They apparently began to be produced after the 1956 Suez operation.

I have been unable till now to get more info on these bombs - If someone can throw more light on them, please do!

Last edited:
Yes, more interested by bombs :)
Israel ordered a significant amount of aerial ammunition, including bombs + fuse in Czechoslovakia from 1948 and later. Among them are bombs vz.34 and also bombs of German construction that were produced in Czechoslovakia after the war. In addition to huge quantities of 13mm ammunition, there were exported 20mm HS cartridges, 20mm Oerlikon and a huge amount of infantry ammunition 7.92mm Mauser, 9mm Para, and a huge amount of rifles, machine guns, etc. equipment, including combat aircraft and service support.
Akon

It does say "EXPLOSIVE" (Nafeetz) on the second line down, and in the Hebrew info linked by MineNaz16 it is called a "Watermelon Bomb".