What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Italian 20 mm Artillery Shell

Brian Keith

From my limited resources, I believe this round is for the Italian Model 1935, Breda Anti-aircraft gun/anti-tank gun. Overall length is 172mm projectile length is 69mm. It is a blue painted, solid steel projectile, probably the armor-piercing round. But, possibly a training round, anybody know for sure? The base of the case is marked 20L T 40, Im guessing the 20 is for 20mm?, the T Terni arsenal, the maker? And the 40 year made, 1940? Please correct any false assumptions. Any other information you can provide would be appreciated. As you can see, it comes with the packing tube. Primer has been chemically inerted.
Thanks in advance,
BKW

Attachments

• DSC_0018.JPG
    DSC_0018.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC_0019.JPG
    DSC_0019.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_0020.JPG
    DSC_0020.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 96
The stamp seems Finnish to me (Lahti) but I can not identify it. This stamp is familiair with Finnish 20x138B rounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it is Finnish 20x113 for L-34 automatic cannon. 10 guns were made for navy and after the war survived 5 guns with ammo were sold to Interarmco.
Rather rare cartridge, I have managed to buy 2 different ones back to my collection from USA.
Markings: 20 L = type of gun, T = Tikkakoski ( factory ), 40 = year
This bullet is AP, without tracer ( blue laquer )

Last edited:
There were various experimental case types during the development of this gun, including belted ones. I aim to put together a web article on the gun and ammo, when I have the time!

The Breda M35 used the standard 20x138B Long Solothurn ammo, as used in the German WW2 light Flak and AFV guns plus the Solothurn S1-1000 series and Lahti L39 anti-tank guns, and a light AA gun based on the Lahti L39.

Tony, there is very good information about these developments in 2 Finnish books. Just let me know if you need asistance for your article. Or possibly you already are in contact with the authors?

Thanks for that - I don't have those books and would be interested in any information about the L34. What I do have is a photocopy of a French sales brochure from the 1930s which provides a lot of technical detail. If you would like a scan of that, I'll do you a trade for the info in those books!

Thanks for that - I don't have those books and would be interested in any information about the L34. What I do have is a photocopy of a French sales brochure from the 1930s which provides a lot of technical detail. If you would like a scan of that, I'll do you a trade for the info in those books!
PM has been sent.

That is really interesitng that it is Finnish! Tmine, you seem to answer every queastion I have, Thanks!
I'm glad you guys found this interesting! I don't know why I thought it was Itallian!
BKW