What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Italian charge ?

Hi Minenaz16

Not sure on the Model, but looks like an early form of "Keel" bomb or charge used underwater for sabotage.. The two clamps were used by a diver to secure the device to a ships keel, and the propeller initiated the device after a certain number of revolutions once the ship got under way. The rubberised material strapped to the cylinder could be an inflatable buoyancy container designed to give the charge neutral buoyancy to ease handling during placement. I hope this is a bit of help for starters, and will see if I can find a bit more information when I can.

Cheers for now

Switch

They are models of course but both charges are fixed to the hull of a ship. The black one fits to the bilge keel by meens of the clamps and the propeller is meant to represent a fuze that runs down as the ship moves. The Italian fuze I think had a timer as well.

The second charge is the same but is held in contact with the hull by means of a flotation bag.

[Sorry Switch, I didnt see your reply - I take so long to write anything nowadays!]

Last edited:
Hi Bonnex

No problem there - At least I was thinking along the right lines for once!?!

I know that the Italians were quite advanced in underwater sabotage methods during WW2, and I believe several British developments were based on their ideas. Any suggestions for any further references, as I presume these are the precursors to the charges used in the Italian SLC Motorised Torpedo programme.

Cheers

Switch

It's the so-called "Bauletto Esplosivo", it exploded when the ship reached a 6 knots speed.

Regards
stecol