What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jam tin bomb ?????

paul the grenade

Anyone seen one of these before?
i have had it for years. it was labeled as a 1ww improvised jam tin bomb.
Its obviously not a jam tin, maybe a tin for a liquid or something like that.
if anyone can help i would be very greatfull. its about 4 inches high.
paul.

Attachments

• jam tin bomb.jpg
    jam tin bomb.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Anyone seen one of these before?
i have had it for years. it was labeled as a 1ww improvised jam tin bomb.
Its obviously not a jam tin, maybe a tin for a liquid or something like that.
if anyone can help i would be very greatfull. its about 4 inches high.
paul.

hello paul

is there a hole in the top for a length of fuze or has it a fuze missing?
have you got a top down view of this?
This might give a clue in the way the top is constructed.
I havent seen one of these before.
Maybe it was a home made grenade like a tin can bomb.

interesting to find out wahat it is
-i hope it is a grenade and not a tin to keep footpowder or cream in!! ha ha
reagards

expedient grenade

I saw one very identical to yours at "Show of Shows". This one had a simple Bickford fuze atop the grenade. It was pricy and i'd already spent my allocation so I had to let it go. Again it was (if memory serves) pretty much identical to yours and on the tag it read something like WW1 trench made expedient grenade (I think). This is no positive ID by any means, but i've seen one....Dano

Hi Paul, This looks a lot like an outdoors meths burner sold here in NZ (not the most popular idea I know:smile:). The ones sold here are made in China and mounted on a length of bamboo, with a wick in the top held in place by a simple push-over cap. They are used to light up outdoor BBQ pits. I'll post a photo or two of them if I can find one. Cheers Colin

meths burner

Now that was cruel Kiwicolin LOL:sad: Poor old Paul has somthing quite rare and you poh ha his posting with a cheap Chinese citronela anti mossie candle type thing. But your bloody close as I went and checked they do look close apart from the screw top. Now Paul you keep that British stiff upper lip going and I'll take care of these scandalous ratbag Kiwi niegbours of mine Lol :xd: By the way Kiwicolin love the pic's you post of your collection hope to see more in the future if I havn't burn't my bridges
Regards Daryl

Hi Daryl. No bridges burnt (there never were any between Australia and New Zealand:xd:). Ive kept a couple of the old meths burners myself, with the intent of making one into a charge can for Mills bombs (theyve got that look). Im on holiday at the moment, but when I get home in the New Year Ill see if theyre still in the shed. Cheers Colin

meths burner

Is a meths burner similar to a "tiki torch"? Look at the soldering on the can and tell me it aint period.... Dano

Last edited:
Hi guys.
heres a few more pics of the tin. If it turns out to be something other than a gren i wouldn't be surprised. Just be nice to have a positive ID.
cheers, Paul.

Attachments

• jam tin side.jpg
    jam tin side.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 19
  • jam tin top.jpg
    jam tin top.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 20
  • jam tin base.jpg
    jam tin base.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 19