What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jap case

kahu1

Premium Member
Any idea on the identity of this Japanese case, i think its been cut down a bit.
base dia.; 94mm,
length; 496mm
neck dia.; 75mm

Jap base dia.94mm.jpgJap. long.jpg

cheers,
Bob

Hi Bob,
Your case is a Japanese Army 75mm case as used in the Type 88 A. A. Field Gun. The measurements are correct and it hasn't been cut. My reference material states the length as being 497 mm. The one mm discrepancy is not unusual and I doubt it being the result of cutting but more from measuring.

The case is from the Nagoya Army Arsenal and dated March 1941. The Showa year date isn't clear but with a close look I think that I can make out the characters for 16. Showa 16 being 1941. The month of manufacture was always indicated by a western numeral which in this case is 3 for March.

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

PS You are more than welcome to drop it off at my brother's place at Normondale, Lower Hutt.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Last edited:
Look how big one of the bullets is for that case.Its huge,,,,
,75mmJ75x492 001.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Lou,
That sure is a nice projectile. It looks like a Type 90 H. E. - A. A. Long-Pointed Projectile. It was by no means the only projectile combination for the case as it was one of about four different projectiles that was used with the Type 88 A. A. Field Gun.

Just recently I came across someone that has a Type 88 in remarkable condition in his back yard that came from a public park and is restoring it. Luckily it was already in country and didn't have to get past those F***WIT paranoid Aussie Customs with their new ignoramus policies.

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

Would you have to see it closer to be able to tell??? Or would we need to look at any stamps in the metal of the shell?

Nice case Rob, i think that one also saw limited use in an aircraft gun, which is probably why you have it LOL

Thanks for the replies, Charley777 , I also collect AA rounds, and Bougainville, always worth a try! ;-)

Would you have to see it closer to be able to tell??? Or would we need to look at any stamps in the metal of the shell?

The double drive bands and the copper bourrelet as well as the fuzing are the dead giveaways for this projectile. There are no other candidates.