What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese 20x102 blanks ?

orpheus72

Premium Member
A while ago i managed to add a rare japanse marked 20x102 blank round to my collection.

It seems to be a regular M103 case with a hollow 'projectile-substitute' crimped in place.
The opening on top seemed to be closed by a red plastic disk, as i found traces of left-over plastic on the (inside) of the projectiles top-groove
Both cartridge and link are marked in the common US-Style, with addition of an extra "J" in front of the M-denomination.

When I checked the classifieds section, I discovered these rare Japanese 20x102 blanks are also offered for sale on the BOCN-site:
http://www.bocn.co.uk/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=332 .
Ogreve did mention NS as possible manufacturer...

There is even a small clip on Youtube were these blank rounds are used: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TWVjkZx72Y

Does anyone know more about the markings and who actually did made them (and where they were used) ?

Thanks,
Geert.

Attachments

• patroon1.jpg
    patroon1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 38
  • projectiel1.jpg
    projectiel1.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 35
  • shell.jpg
    shell.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 32
  • HS.jpg
    HS.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 33
  • links.jpg
    links.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 36
Comments on the youtube suggest it could be Taiwanese?

Bob

Hi Bob,

Yes i also tought that the clip was taiwanese, so they used these blanks, but the "JM" markings on the round suggests Japanese manufacturing (or i must be completely wrong)

Thanks,
Geert.

Hi,
Well, as the Dutch NVBMB members will know, I've put some effort into doing further research about these rounds and their manufacturer. Down below follows an overview (summarised) of my findings. The ID of the manufacturer was made by a different NVBMB member who translated a part of the Japanese writing on the box, and came up with the manufacturer's name ("Nippon Koki") and website.

Here goes:
I came across an ammo box of 20x102 TP rounds in Japan and it's not the first of its kind that I have seen over there. Pictures of it are added to this reaction. The box clearly has Japanese writing on it, and I myself could easily read the date of manufacture to be "Showa 59-12", which is December 1984. I could also easily read the Kanji for "Nippon" (= "Japan") on two locations on the box. Furthermore, on the inside we find a.o. Katakana writing. There's no way that this box was made (or at the very least, stamped) in any other location than Japan. I also noticed a second date, being Showa 61.2 (February 1986). I figured that information to be the filling date, but it is not, the aforementioned other NVBMB member had it translated to read "Kashi tanpo kigen" which translates to something like: "minimum guaranteed period without failure". He also mentioned that the 'Nippon' part that I had already seen is actually part of the company name: "Nippon Koki ltd". He went on to come up with a link to the manufacturer's website: http://www.nippon-koki.co.jp and look what we find on this page: http://www.nippon-koki.co.jp/product/gun.html
Blimey! There they are, along with the TP and AP and HE kinds, and some .50 rounds that I also come across occasionally in Japan!
So, DEFINITELY of Japanese manufacture.

But wait. There's more.
Before the translation and manufacturer ID were provided, I already reasoned that the 'NS' numbers on the blanks were analogous to what can be seen on the box (which is why I refer to that particular box in the first place). Note the number on the box: "NS-4028-59". The 'NS' is then (as we know now) 'Nippon Koki', the '4028' is almost certainly a lot number and the '59' is almost beyond a doubt the year of manufacture (Showa 59; i.e. 1984). Now look at the numbering on the blanks. The 'NS' numbers use an analogous numbering format, but tend to end in lower numbers, mostly 14, 15, 16. No problem. These ought to be years in the Heisei period then (i.e. the current one, of emperor Akihito, following the Showa era that ended with the death of emperor Hirohito on January 7th, 1989). 14 = 2002, 15 = 2003, 16 = 2004.
Lastly, a further round was shown that is obviously older (darker and higher positioned text). It has a '63' in that position. Still no problem. Surely it must have been made in Showa year 63, being 1988!

Now, I would bet that ANY specimen found will have a number at that position of maximally 64 (which is not very likely to be encountered, unless production took place in the first days of January 1989 and is found). With Heisei year 26 being 2014, I would also bet that there is a good stretch after '26' (but below '63') of numbers that are also not encountered.
I'll explain.
Heisei 26 = 2014.
Showa 26 = 1951.
Surely Showa 27 (i.e. 1952) would be VERY early for this kind of ammo. Heisei 27 is in the future.
AFAIK, the M39 was the first cannon that used the 20x102 calibre. It doesn't help the above quest that it was invented in the late 1940s, and was already used in the early 1950s.
Still, despite not knowing when production of these kinds of blanks started, I would guess they weren't developed as early as 1952, so I would really expect that numbers '27' up to 'X' (with 'X' being a mystery, but at any rate below '63') will not be encountered; or at least not until 2015. ;)

Cheers,
Olafo

wisdom_spring_shinrituikyu-img450x600-1390567446uabfwl21966.jpgwisdom_spring_shinrituikyu-img600x450-1390567446rzpjrn21966.jpgwisdom_spring_shinrituikyu-img600x600-1390567445osjc2t21966.jpg

Last edited: