What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese 63kg Navy

EODONE

Ordnance Approved
Gents,
this was donated to Penang Museum in 1967 by our team, before we could give it to them it had to be made safe,

If you look at the base of the Bomb where the tail joins the main boby you can see 2 rows of screws missing ( Ours must have been) these were removed so the main Picric fill could be "Chipped out" the fact that the contents was exstruding through the case of the bomb & around the screws did not seem to bother us. the tail units were vey much in demand to be used for ashtrays ouch filled with sand. Yes for a nasty explosion when making a Japanese submarine net mine safe, which badly burn't 2 of the team we all managed to get home in one piece. Can any body suplly the markings & details.
THOSE WERE THE DAYS
REgards
John :tinysmile_shy_t:

Gents,
this was donated to Penang Museum in 1967 by our team, before we could give it to them it had to be made safe,

If you look at the base of the Bomb where the tail joins the main boby you can see 2 rows of screws missing ( Ours must have been) these were removed so the main Picric fill could be "Chipped out" the fact that the contents was exstruding through the case of the bomb & around the screws did not seem to bother us. the tail units were vey much in demand to be used for ashtrays ouch filled with sand. Yes for a nasty explosion when making a Japanese submarine net mine safe, which badly burn't 2 of the team we all managed to get home in one piece. Can any body suplly the markings & details.
THOSE WERE THE DAYS
REgards
John :tinysmile_shy_t:
Forgot attachment

Attachments

• Japanese Navy 63 kg.JPG
    Japanese Navy 63 kg.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 111
Bomb Disposal team Penang

Fuzeman & Gents,
The attachment is of the team used to clear Japanese bombs in Penang in the late 60's this is a picture of the full team including replacements, the only pax missing is Maj Locke & Spr Les Wardle.

Hope this clears up queries on who was or wasnot on Operation Bombs Penang.

REgards John:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Attachments

• BD RE TEAM PENANG.jpg
    BD RE TEAM PENANG.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 76
I saw this on Guam in April.

I think it is a 250kg bomb.

Attachments

• Guam_Jap_Bomb.jpg
    Guam_Jap_Bomb.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 76
EOD, No, totally repainted with fake Kanji added. I don't often see inert Japanese naval bombs or parts of bombs ever.

Jim
JapaneseOrdnance(at)yahoo.com

I asked because I was after the real color tones for the "grey" of Japanese navy bombs for one I have to repaint again and can not locate any original bit of genuine paint.

I have a friend who has some kind of 50 kg japanese naval bomb but his is repainted also. Its so hard to find this material with original paint. I also have a relic Japanese army 30 kg with no paint that came out of Luzon Philippines back in the 80's. It seems most of the big stuff never has paint.

Jim
JapaneseOrdnance(at)Yahoo.com

Hi Bernie, Long time mate hope all is well George is in the photo Sgt front row with specs, He was just back after being blown up with Les Wardle (Not in the Photo).

REgards John