What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese 75mm Type 41 "STEEL" cases

Dronic69

Premium Member
Good Afternoon All,

Here's a couple of Japanese WW2 Steel cases which you don't see every day - actually I have never seen any before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Yes they definitely passed the magnet test)

They were used with the Type 41 Regimental Mountain Gun, identified by their case length of 184mm (~7.25") {75x184R}

Well marked as shown in the attached photos:-

> Both Brass primers are dated March, 1943 (Showa 18), made by the Osaka Arsenal.
> Cases are dated November, 1942 and December, 1942 (Showa 17) respectively.

I'm curious of how many of these are still floating around?

Anyway please "enjoy"!!

Cheers

Drew

Attachments

• DSCN7593.JPG
    DSCN7593.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN7611.JPG
    DSCN7611.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN7614.JPG
    DSCN7614.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN7616.JPG
    DSCN7616.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN7619.JPG
    DSCN7619.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN7620.JPG
    DSCN7620.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN7623.JPG
    DSCN7623.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 25
Well done Dronic,
I also have one of these steel carts but is plain steel finish, the 37 x 166 steel cart I have is brass washed.
Should the 75 also be brass washed or plain steel?
Regards Ozzi.

Thanks Robert - I'm getting a little lazy these days! :wink:

Hi Ozzi,

Good question!
I was also wondering what the original finish should be a well.
There's virtually nothing in the doco even referring to steel carts, let alone what the finish should be........................
It appears to may have been a lacquer applied, but very difficult to say as the surface rust was enough to tanish the finish.

Would you be able to post a couple of pics of the 37x166's steel finish?

Have you heard of or seen steel 75mm carts before?

Thanks
Cheers
Drew

Hi Andrew,

I have found the required information in KIRKEE E 20 JAPANESE 75 MM AMMUNITION FOR TYPE MEIJI 41 REGIMENTAL GUN. This document can be found in my Downloads section if anyone cares to search my files that I have uploaded.

The British were always very Teutonic and their documentations subsequently details information in minute and exact detail. Something we should be very thankful of as otherwise this sort of information would not be available for us collectors.

"Steel cases had only been found with A.T/H.E Hollow Charge Rounds and had been rustproofed by either brass plating or zinc plating. The zinc plating gave the appearance of being cadmium plated."

Cheers,
Robert

Thanks Robert for the reply. Great stuff.

Drew, I am away from all my resources @ the moment, including pics, but will post when I can.

Regards Ozzi.