What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese army 70mm type 92 h.e. Projectile

BOUGAINVILLE

Hi all,:tinysmile_grin_t:

Have been busy in the restoration department and have turned grey trying to get everything as correct as possible. Here is the Japanese Army 70mm Type 92 H.E. Projectile from the Kokura Army Arsenal. This projectile sports the new colour scheme.

The fuze is the Type 88 Instantaneous Fuze for low velocity ammunition. It has a weaker latch spring than its other counterpart. The only external difference between both type of fuzes is the inscription on the fuze body.

The brass shell case is the 70mm Type B "Otsu"

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

Attachments

• 70MM TYPE 92 HE.jpg
    70MM TYPE 92 HE.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 77
Hey B'ville

Here's a Japanese mortar round that I think would benefit from a similar application of paint and stenciling.
A poll voting to LEAVE IT ORIGINAL or PAINT IT would help in deciding its fate.

Attachments

• ordhut 086 (Small).jpg
    ordhut 086 (Small).jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 23
  • ordhut 087 (Small).jpg
    ordhut 087 (Small).jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 21
  • ordhut 088 (Small).jpg
    ordhut 088 (Small).jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 20
  • ordhut 089 (Small).jpg
    ordhut 089 (Small).jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 21
Hi Hazord,
There is no absolute standards when it comes to Japanese Markings not like the standardized postioning and fonts etc of British or US ordnance. My deductions are that there were variations especially in positioning and font size between diferent arsenals. With very scanty information available I had to go by what I had available. Here is the link:

http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ttt09/howitzer-ammunition.html

When and if I get better information I will update the markings appropiately to conform to font and positioning as to what would've been used at the Kokura Arsenal.

That level of advice I suspect is not available within this forum as I had struck silence regarding the fillers mark for the 50mm mortar that I restored. I'm 100% sure that the font and positioning of the markings of the Type 89 mortar are as painted at the Mukden Arsenal. All I can say for the 70mm markings are that they are for a good part based on my interpretation of the description of the markings examined in the link above.

If you have any detailed information available it would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

Nice job! I haven't seen lettering on Jap stuff like that before.

Hey Slick,
Looks as if we could be restoring it together. My next job is a 90mm and then a 81mm mortar. For me the decission is easy as mine has no original paint and are just painted black. All that I'm waiting for is some more Evapo-rust.

For yours I don't think that you have enough marking to not restore. The kanji is going to be a real chalange for me with making and cutting a stencil. When I get around to making a stencil for the 81mm I will be able to email you my template.

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

Hey B'ville

Here's a Japanese mortar round that I think would benefit from a similar application of paint and stenciling.
A poll voting to LEAVE IT ORIGINAL or PAINT IT would help in deciding its fate.

Hey Rick,

You know my opinion: for my taste there's still plenty of original paint and markings left in order to not restore it...

What you could do, OTOH, is to look for a paintless one and paint that. These 81mm mortar rounds are relatively common.

Cheers,
Olafo

Hello, I agree completely with ogreve. Original paint is only original once. These are fairly common rounds so finding one with no paint or already repainted would be the way to go. Take care! Pat