What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese brass case question

Tmine35

Premium Member
Unfortunately I have no photo of this item but it is definitely a Japanese brass case, dates most likely pre WW1. Dimensions are:
-Caliber 120mm
-Length 403mm ( may be shortened? )
-Base diameter 153mm

Any idea?

Are there any Arsenal marks on it, that may help Ships anchor ?

I got some pictures that may help. The case in question is the last on right side.
Further there is a strange feature - the case mouth has symmetrically cut 3 similar double grooves. For what purpose?

Attachments

• japanese-1.jpg
    japanese-1.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 22
  • japanese-2.jpg
    japanese-2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 35
  • japanese-3.jpg
    japanese-3.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 43
This is a separately loaded case. The tabs in the grooves would have held the card wad covering the charge in place.

The holes helped me identify it. These cases are used for the 4.7" QF Coastal Defense guns as used in the UK. The measurements are in perfect agreement.

I have seen more Japanese ammunition made for UK guns.

Source: Big Bore Ammunition

The arsenal mark (anchor with two wavey lines) is from the Kure Arsenal and I believe the round mark is a Naval acceptance stamp. Pat

The holes helped me identify it. These cases are used for the 4.7" QF Coastal Defense guns as used in the UK. The measurements are in perfect agreement.

I have seen more Japanese ammunition made for UK guns.

Source: Big Bore Ammunition

This makes sense, we had a couple of these guns here in Finland left behind by Russians in 1918. Russia purchased a few guns from Japan and a few from UK during WW1 to be mounted in coastal fortresses.

Thanks to all for information.

Hi,

As mentioned, the anchor style indicates that this case was made at Kure arsenal. Furthermore, the date of manufacture is October of Taisho year 4 (= 1915).

Cheers,
Olafo