What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese clips by Kynoch

Tmine35

Premium Member
I have 3 different stripper clips made by Kynoch. From top they are: Brass, plated steel and blued steel. They all came with WWI dated Kynoch made 6,5mm Japanese cartridges.
Any explanation why so many different ones made as the rounds were in production at Kynoch a few years only?

Attachments

• Kynoch.jpg
    Kynoch.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 35
Arisaka Chargers

Hi Tmine35,

TonyE has published an excellent book on Arisaka Rifles & Carbines and their ammunition in British Service, and in it he states that the Mk.I Charger (which appears to be the type you have) was made in the following finishes; Brass, Nickelled, Blued, Oil-blackened, and bright steel, "often from the same manufacturer".
The brass ones are thought to be for Naval issue, as they would resist corrosion from salt water better than the others; however, he doesn't state why the chargers were made in so many finishes. It may be that some manufacturers found specific finishes more convenient, but I think that you will have to wait for TonyE to give the full answer when he comes back from the SLICS in the USA.
R.