What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese Improvised Grenade

Trenchwarfare

This is my most favoritest Japanese grenade. Was mfg. from a 25MM shell casing, filled with picric acid, then fitted with a wooden plug, and simple fuse. A cache of these was found in the Philippines. If anyone else has one, would love to see it. M.P.

Attachments

• Picture 633.jpg
    Picture 633.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Picture 632.jpg
    Picture 632.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 54
great stuff

Great grenade there Trenchwarfare, I really like the field expedient improvised grenades like these and petards and jam tins and such...Dano

Sorry, this is the best I can do. The mark is that of the Kure Naval Arsenal.

Attachments

• Picture 645.jpg
    Picture 645.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 40
Japanese Improvised/last ditch grenades

Hey MP, that is a good item. I too have one of these but the condition is relic. Below are a few pics of some of my improvised/last ditch Japanese grenades. These types were encountered in the Philippines. I have three kinds: The most interesting has serrations, brass closing disks and a brass fuze. The other is a cylindrical pipe bomb type with friction fit endcap and 22 ca. starter cartridge fuze. The last type is the 25mm shell improvised kind. My 25mm improvised grenade has traces of Picric inside (NOT enough to cause any concern!!) Picric was one of several kinds of explosive filler used in these grenades. It came from a good source so I don't question it being identified as an improvised grenade. It doesn't have the wood plug.

Jim

Attachments

• DSCF0425.jpg
    DSCF0425.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCF0422.jpg
    DSCF0422.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF0434.jpg
    DSCF0434.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF0435.jpg
    DSCF0435.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Those are cool Jim. The guy I got my grenade from. also had some of the ones, with the .22 blank fuse. But they were sold out, when I found out about them. Wanna sell one o' your'n?:tinysmile_twink_t2: Sure would like to find one of those coconuts! Recon they got the idea, from "The Swiss Family Robinson"?:bigsmile:

Pipe bomb grenades

I feel really attached to my improvised grenades, I don't think I could let one go. Improvised and experimental material is my favorite. I do some trading on occasion. I believe my pipe grenades originally came from the same person. I was told a cache of these were recovered on Luzon near Clark airfield. Some interesting cave and ground recovered stuff came out of the Philippines in the 1980's. I have only one post WWII reference on these grenades, I'll try to find it. I haven't seen this grenade pictured in any WWII era US army manuals but gas pipe grenades are mentioned. There's an even more crude version of this grenade in existence. The grenade is narrower, Slightly longer and has a wood plug with wick cord. I've seen these but at the time questioned them. Looking back I wish I bought one. I saw two of these cruder types 8 years ago at the Max show in Pittsburgh Pa. Another one showed up on ebay three years ago. The ebay seller was also selling relic spigot model 2 Mod 1 rifle grenades. Again, the material was found in the Philippines.

Jim
JapaneseOrdnance(at)yahoo.com