What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese items manufacturing year

Unfortunately Japanese bayonets are not date stamped. The mark shown is for the Kokura Army Arsenal and the set of numbers is the serial number.

OK. I was just wondering if they had marked dates on these as well. The question is that we have in Finland lot of Japanese weapons, partially Russian captures from Russo-Japanese war in 1902 and partially WWI supplies from UK to Russia. One of my mates would like to know from which supply his items come from.

The best source of information in that direction is from the wealth of knowledge of the members of the "Firearms of the Rising Sun" forum on Gunboards.

Here is the link to their site;

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?52-Firearms-Of-The-Rising-Sun

If you ask the guys there they are very helpful and will be able to give you all of the information that you want. Get good photos of the weapons as well as any markings first to upload with your queries.

Cheers,
Robert

Last edited:
Is there a photo of the complete bayonet?....many differences with these bayonets can narrow down the period they were manufactured,ie quillon shape(or no quillon),round or oval grip washers ect ect

No, I don't have further pictures. However all Arisaka bayonets found here have been made before WWI, except some later models that have been imported commercially for collectors later on. So, the variatiions you mention do not exist. The bayonets came to Finland between 1902-1917. When did UK get these bayonets? Many of them as well as rifles found here bear British unit markings.

https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/-256-inch-arisaka TonyE covers the Arisaka 6.5mm in British service in his on line site,mainly for the Royal navy and land service training only....I presume bayonets were bought at the same time,England manufactured 6.5mm ammunition for Russia in 1916-17,so I would have thought it was after 1917 before Finland received the Japanese/English/Russian weapons.....and yes variants did exist on these bayonets during the time frame you mention