What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese Navy 76.2 mm Mark 3 Model 1 HE Projectile

BOUGAINVILLE

Japanese Navy 76.2 mm Mark 3 Modification 1 HE Projectile

Hi all,

Well at long last I have now in my hands the Japanese Navy 76.2 mm Mk. 3 Mod. 1 High Explosive Projectile that I managed to get into the country before our Customs boys went all funny in the head and started to become irrational.

I had already acquired some years back the brass case for it so today I finally completed my round. It will take pride of place in my growing collection.

The case was made by the Kure Naval Arsenal in October 1938.

The projectile was made by the Yokosuka Naval Arsenal in June 1943. It is painted on the body as Modification 1. This projectile is the 8 cm (76.2 mm) Ordinary Mark 3 modification 1 High Explosive. It's weight is stamped on the drive band as 4.845 kg.

This projectile carries the Army Type 89 Powder Time Fuze and is a prime example of the rare occassion of inter use of ordnance between the two services. The projectile could also be fitted, using an adaptor, with the Naval Type 5 Year Point Detonating (instantaneous) Fuze.

This round was an AA round and used in the Type 3 Year 8cm/40 Dual Purpose Gun and the Type 88 8cm/40 Dual Purpose Gun.

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

Attachments

• 00 JAPANESE NAVY 76.jpg
    00 JAPANESE NAVY 76.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 00 JAPANESE NAVY 76MM 07.jpg
    00 JAPANESE NAVY 76MM 07.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 00 JAPANESE NAVY 76MM 04.jpg
    00 JAPANESE NAVY 76MM 04.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 00 JAPANESE NAVY 76MM 02jpg.jpg
    00 JAPANESE NAVY 76MM 02jpg.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 00 JAPANESE NAVY 76MM 06.jpg
    00 JAPANESE NAVY 76MM 06.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 00 JAPANESE NAVY 76MM 05.jpg
    00 JAPANESE NAVY 76MM 05.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Aye, roger that!

This is exactly the kind of thing I'd also very much like to add to my Jap collection! :p

Cheers,
Olafo

Very nice indeed!
Almost makes me want to collect complete rounds again...........(I better go and take my medicine now before the witches start again!!!) :tinysmile_cry_t:
Cheers
Drew