What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese Submunitions

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
A week or so back there were some questions about Japanese subminitions and how many types there were. In several years of research I have found information on the following Japanese designs:

1/3rd kg submunition, HEAT three tail variations
.4kg submunition, aka: Bolo Bomb, Para Bomb or Para Cable Bomb
1/2 kg, two body variations, three fuze variations
1 kg submunition, HEAT
1 kg HE (Naval)
1 Kg submunition, incendiary - appears to be a loose copy of the German 1kg, only one rough photo found to date
Steel Phosphorus pellets for 30 and 60kg incendiary bombs
HE submunition for 70mm Anti-aircraft barrage mortar

This is all I have found to day, with the possible exception of the 1kg incendiary all appear to have been considered as standard items. I've attached photos of some of mine from the collection. L-R 1kg HEAT, 1/3rdkg HEAT (2), 1kg HE, two 1/2kg HE with fuze variations. The second photograph is of the small HE submunition for the barrage mortar, mine does not have the parachute attached. I have also attached a historic photo found in the US National Archive showing the uncovering of a dudded dispenser of the 1kg HEAT submunitions, located in New Guinea.

Attachments

• DSCN1950.jpg
    DSCN1950.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 132
  • D-O-SUB-JPN-019.jpg
    D-O-SUB-JPN-019.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 40c.jpg
    40c.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 95
Many thanks for sharing with us,

I like your line-up, I bet many years worth of hunting around.

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

Here's my 1/2 kg HE. Is there a "Type" number or some other technical identifier for this?
Bomblet, Japanese  Beehive 001 (Small).jpg Bomblet, Japanese  Beehive 002 (Small).jpg Bomblet, Japanese  Beehive 003 (Small).jpg Bomblet, Japanese  Beehive 005 (Small).jpg

Here's my 1/2 kg HE. Is there a "Type" number or some other technical identifier for this?
View attachment 50921 View attachment 50922 View attachment 50923 View attachment 50924

Hi Rick,

That was surely a fantastic haul that you had. I wish I was that lucky sometimes. This is a Type 3 1/2kg Cluster Bomb. All that I have is the fuze from one. It takes either the A-6(a) or A-6(b) (Allied desinations) fuzes. You have the A-6(b) fuze. I think that you will have the PDF file of OP1667 Vol.1 that you downloaded from my site on Scribd, that is if you have downloaded it. In that PDF file you will find all of the information that you need. The file is 158MB and is to large to upload to BOCN.

Cheers,
Robert

Thanks Robert

I'll be looking that up.

Yes, I did download OP1667 1-3. And printed it. Anxiously awaiting 4 & 5.

Rick

I've sort of got 4 & 5 in the pipeline and have just started it. Will not be as good as it is not the actual OP1667 Vol.4 & 5 but the equivalent TM 9-1985-5. It is an original but the illustrations have a slightly shaded background, not like the neutral background that one finds in OP1667 Vol. 1-3.

I will though be heaps better than the PDF currently available from various sources.

I have some interesting photos and illustrations of the Type 3 1/2kg Cluster Bomb in the Ordnance Sergeant July 1945 issue. I was going to scan the whole periodical and create a PDF file but my scanner isn't big enough to give me results that I would be happy with due to the large dimensions.

When I get the time I will scan the portion of the relevant page and email it to you.

Cheers,
Robert