What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

King of stupid questions

I hate to be the asker of stupid questions, but again it's not my fault. You guys show all this cool ordnance here and i'm getting pulled out of my regular collecting mode (not complaining by any means). Well anyway I have 2 British WW1 shell casings coming (one a 6 pdr and the other a 13 pdr). I thought the 6 pdr was the 47mm case but from what ive been reading here I guess i'm wrong. Is the 47mm case a 3 pdr? I definately want to get a 47mm case and don't want to "screw up" again. Dano (go easy on me)

Not a stupid question at all Dano. The 3 PR is the 47mm calibre 47x376R), the WWI 6 PR is 57mm calibre (57x307R)

Hope that helps.

Quatermass.

13pr

Dano, sorry to be a pain but there are two types of 13pr. first is the horse artillery type, straight case appx 312mm long early ones have crimp marks later dont ( like 18prs) other is the necked down 18pr case and is 13pr 9cwt normally stamped on the base 290mm long. What sort are you getting? Oh and theres also a couple of sorts of 3pr British naval service.......
2pr

2 Pounders quite right there are several types of WWI era 3 PR's, the 47X376R is round thats most often referred to as the 3 PR but there is also the Vickers MK I anti balloon gun (47x414R) along with a couple of different sized Nodenfelt cases.

Quatermass.

uh oh

Yikes! I don't know. I just woke up after having a HUGE party last night into this morn. I'll have to get back to you. I appear to be out of beer (top priority), let me get head screwed on straight and i'll find out. May need to find a "headbomb" (MK1). Dano