What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knock Me Over With A Feather

HAZORD

Premium Member
I was minding my own business getting the AC fixed in my car last week, when this old car drove up in front of the shop. The driver was talking to one of the shop guys, so I walked out to look at the car, and knock me over, it was a Hispano Suiza! I didn't even know they had made cars. I've had their 20mm ammo for 30 years. It seems to have plenty of spare tires.

I guess I should have surmised such. When I worked at Norris, I found out they made toilets, bath tubs, faucets, appliances, and wheels for cars in addition to Ordnance. Anyway, enjoy the photos!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1464674361.134426.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1464674380.583673.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1464674408.933828.jpg

Sent from my NSA/FBI tapped iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
What a lovely old car, Hazord
I have to say I didn't know they manufactured cars either, but as you say, not a surprise when you think alot of automotive manufacturers became large weapons and AFV manufacturers during the war.

......And after a quick google how could you not fall in love with their cars.

0314sigma07.jpg

Rich

A rare beast indeed!

HS actually started as a car maker, before WW1, when the company was based in Spain. Then they established a French branch, which got into making aero engines during WW1. The French branch started making Oerlikon cannon under licence before their own design (HS 404) from the mid-1930s. Finally, they set up Swiss and British branches of the company just before WW2.

The Swiss branch is now the only surviving one to make guns: it was bought by Oerlikon c.1970, and Oerlikon is now part of Rheinmetall.

The French branch is still around makes aero engines, but not guns or cars.

One of the more interesting facts of the Hispano suiza cars is that car body's were completely made of wood. Just look it up : Hispano Suiza wooden car.

Hazord . Thanks for posting those pics . Beautiful car . I seem to remember Hotchkiss also made automobiles before WW2 ?

Hazord . Thanks for posting those pics . Beautiful car . I seem to remember Hotchkiss also made automobiles before WW2 ?

So did Skoda Mike, in the 20s & 30s - I expect you can remember them!

The well known British WW1 fighter, the SE5/SE5A were initially powered by Hispano-Suiza motors but they were troublesome until Wolseley took over production of the HS motors under licence as the Wolseley Viper. With these motors it was one of the fastest WW1 aircraft.

Dave

I remember reading somewhere that Skoda made cannon for the Napoleonic wars and during the second world war the Skoda factory had its own squadron of Bf 109s to protect it from air attack,
Don,

I remember reading somewhere that Skoda made cannon for the Napoleonic wars and during the second world war the Skoda factory had its own squadron of Bf 109s to protect it from air attack,
Don,

you're right Don, they made artillery pieces from the 1800s up to and including Ww2 (under German occupation). But they also made bicyles, motorbikes, farm equipment as well as the early cars that Mike S can probably remember.

Dave

Dave . I don't remember the Skodas but we were stationed in Germany from 1948-50 with the RAF & brought a newish VW beetle back with us to England when we returned . Served us well for many years . The registration number when we first got it was BZ 49201 which was an occupation registration , the BZ standing for British Zone . Happy days ! Mike .

that number plate would be worth more than the car now Mike! Actually, pre war, Skoda had a name for quality, but not the same name it has now, but they were considered good reliable vehicles. In particular, their tractors, all terrain lorries and buses (the buses weren't all terrain) were well thought of. But the Hispano Suiza cars were in the same league as Bentley & RR and were very exclusive motors.