What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kwk.43 L/76 Ammuntion

Liejon

Kwk.43 L/71 Ammunition

Hopefully anyone can answer atleast some of next questions.
They all concern the ammunition used for the Kwk.43 L/71 in the Tiger-II.
I have 72 rounds that need to be painted......in 16th scale. http://public.fotki.com/Liejon/scale-modelling/armour/116/

The colour of the Sprengranate 43 HE projectile.
Yellow or Green. I've read that after 1943 (no excact date) instead of Yellow the projectiles were painted Green.

Would it be possible to find Yellow HE projectiles still to be in use late in 1944.

Did Tiger-II carry Holladungsgranate 39/43 (Kwk.43 L/71). I only know they were used with the Kwk.36 L/56 (Tiger-E).

I've learned that the shell casings came in three colours, brass and parkerized steel in a grey and green/yellow colour.
Possibly also a copper plated steel shell.

What would be the timeline of the variations in casings. Could a casing be dated (approx) by the material and colours used.
I would like to know if for instance a steel casing could have the Yellow HE projectile....and a brass casing a green one.
How rare would a brass casing be in late '44 ( I know they were re-used) How rare would a Yellow HE projectile be late '44.

Any info is most welcome.

Liejon

Last edited:
Here is a similar thread but seems like nothing new for you

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/kwk43-he-round-t45718.html?t=45718

I think it`s difficult to say one way or another about the sell and the case usage.
In east region I haven`t seen any brass case, only copper plated. I`ve got a new case in my collection a few weeks ago, it`s copper plated and i think it`s maybe for Pak, I`m not sure.

Best
E

Attachments

• 88.jpg
    88.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 88_1.jpg
    88_1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMGP1507.jpg
    IMGP1507.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 106
Excellent case E. One of the best I have seen. Thank you for posting the pictures.

@Liejon
Do not be disheartened at the lack of replies. I think that you have answered many of your own questions and to get firm evident on late war production is somewhat difficult.

I would imagine the 8.8cm Sprgr Patr. 43 was a green projectile but the Sprgr. Patr. L/4.7 (narrow drive bands) would have been yellow.

There was a 8.8cm Gr Patr 39/43 Hl produced so it is possible a few were carried in the Tiger II.

PC

Hello, i have several yellow projectiles, complete with cases all 1943, the early types are yellow, also they have used projectiles with the narrow driving bands, the big driving bands came later, , the different between a flak 41 and the KWK 43, was the filling inside, the other markings are that the KWK has 3 white dots on the projectile, i have never seen a brass case, but it should be made when the first KWK 43 came out of the factory.Ben

1/16 scale Kwk43 L71 rounds

Thank you,

I've read the thread, and everything I could find on the subject.
In museums (except the Patton museum) the HE projectiles are Yellow, also on illustrations in books. Yet, whe know they came also in Green.
I've taken some liberty to make a mix of colours of the rounds in my model....different batches... maybe it could be possible.

One more question, the colour of the driving bands, metal or copper.

Liejon

Attachments

• DSCN3590_Formaat wijzigen.jpg
    DSCN3590_Formaat wijzigen.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN3591_Formaat wijzigen.jpg
    DSCN3591_Formaat wijzigen.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 77
Thank you,

One more question, the colour of the driving bands, metal or copper.

Liejon

Hi,

Definitely metal (the driving bands were made of sintered iron); I don't think copper driving bands were used on KwK43 ammo; I can only confirm having seen sintered iron ones (such as my own one), and never having seen samples with copper driving bands.

I have also attached a picture of a KwK43 HE projo that a friend of mine owns; it's green alright, but... it has been repainted. Still this may provide a hint (though I was informed that the text is not completely correct either, so no guarantees as to the colour being correct). Still an interesting projo to observe.

Cheers!
Olafo

Attachments

• 88x822R_KWK43_HE_projectile_repainted.JPG
    88x822R_KWK43_HE_projectile_repainted.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Finally a complete round. Liejon, you can see some details.

Regards
E

Attachments

• kwk43c.jpg
    kwk43c.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 73
  • kwk43.jpg
    kwk43.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 65
Liejon,

The interior of your model looks amazing with the rounds in the racks, with the rounds painted and lettered.

I was wondering about the color you used for the KwK 43 cartridge cases. Original cases are copper washed steel, so brass/copper colored. Your cases are the color of anodized aluminum or cadmium coated steel. So, I was wondering why you went with that color, when you were so meticulous about the projectile colors?