What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Large experimental fuze.

SG500

Premium Member
I got this one because its got a nice purple stripe up it, unfortunately I've no idea what its for. The odd thing is the thread diameter is 2.5 inchs - which is a lot larger than normal. Is it for a shell or some sort of Mortar?
There are loads of markings all over it including:

BLD STD BN 9137
11/73
104 E1
REQ NO B3/2703

The numbers on top go from 0 to safe to 17 without gradations and then the numbers go from 17 to 45 with lots of gradations.

There are no markings on the blue plastic top that is held in place with 6 screws.

I assume the 11/73 is the date but other than that any information /drawings regarding this would be of interest.

Dave.

Attachments

• Experimental fuze 006.JPG
    Experimental fuze 006.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Experimental fuze 007.JPG
    Experimental fuze 007.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Experimental fuze 002.JPG
    Experimental fuze 002.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Experimental fuze 003.JPG
    Experimental fuze 003.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Experimental fuze 004.JPG
    Experimental fuze 004.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 34
Given the thread diameter and plastic dome I'd say you have an experimental proximity fuze for a 2.75" rocket (Hydra-Style)

Given the thread diameter and plastic dome I'd say you have an experimental proximity fuze for a 2.75" rocket (Hydra-Style)

Hi that's great thanks for the information. What does "Hydra-Style" mean?

Dave.

Dave,

The U.S. "HYDRA" is the standard 2.75 inch FFAR (folding fin Aircraft rocket). There has been some 2.75 inch traffic on here in the past. The Hydra was the mythical beast that had 9 heads, and it just so turns out that the antitank warhead for the rocket had 9 shaped charge submunition warheads in it. They are typically fired by the Longbow Apache helicopters, but are also carried by other aircraft.

Your fuze does not go with any of the U.S. warheads that I'm familiar with though, but there isn't a lot of info on other nations rockets, unless you can get a good copy of Jane's Aircraft Armaments.

John

Thanks John, I'm assuming as its got a purple stripe its British - I'll have to find a copy of Janes aircraft and have a look.
Ta,
Dave.

Dave,

The current projectiles that I know of that use a large diameter thread are U.S. 81mm Mortar Illum and red Phos smoke, and Navy Projectiles 5 inch and larger. The 2.75 inch fuzes for HE or WP are smaller than 2 inch diameter, and all the Hydra U.S. stuff are electronic programmable, so they have a wire coming out of the side that plugs into the launcher to program when the cargo is ejected.

Your fuze definitely looks U.K. by the shape and the way it is lettered and the lettering. I would point you towards 81mm cargo first and Navy second.

John